Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Springboard App Icons Disappeared

Default Springboard App Icons Disappeared
    I have a jailbroken 4.0.1 3GS. Today when replying to a SMS message I had my finger on the backspace button when the phone decided to go blank and respring (I think). I found that all my application icons from the App Store and a couple of other IPA file's icons had all disappeared leaving only the default apps and those installed from Cydia. The application files appear to still be in my var/mobile/Applications folder.

Is this a common problem and does anyone know of an easy way to restore the icons (preferably in the same order)?

Thanks in advance.

Not looking promising...
    How can I restore from iTunes backup without updating to firmware 4.1? Cydia has SHSH blobs on file.
    Last edited by jmoore; 2010-09-30 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

To do a restore, you need to get tinyumbrella, go to advanced options, and try to save SHSH for 4.0.1

If it's available then follow instructions for downgrading (it is the same for you just restoring), there are loads of guides out there.

I'm having the same problem too.
    Only from today. Could it be that I synced my phone yesterday?
    I tried deleting the /var/mobile/library/preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist file but it didn't solve the problem.
    What is the tinyumbrella? Another app? Will iFunbox do instead of SHSH?

I'm having the same issue. I don't even remember what I was doing. Probably texting and then poof, I look down and half my apps are gone. Two folders worth of games up and vanish. I've checked Springboard settings to make sure nothing is hidden, turned restrictions on and off (suggested in an Apple forum post), resprung the device, restarted it several times and nothing. Still all gone.

I don't know what this Tinyumbrella app is but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't know specifically how to navigate all these folders you guys are talking about either. I've plugged it into iTunes, taking care not to update it in the process to the new OS version, and I only have 10MB worth of apps and 2.7GB of "other". Really hope someone knows how to resolve this. Thanks!

Solved! And guess what I did? Nothing. That's right, nothing. Ok, scratch that, I went to bed and woke up. POOF. Every application I had was sitting on the iPhone. No folders mind you... all of it was just scattered about, but it's nice to see everything back again. Plus, my Angry Birds record didn't get deleted! 3-stars on everything. Yea, I took it there. Guess I'm just happy to see everything. Not sure what to tell everyone else. Be patient, the iPhone will eventually return your apps to you on it's own timetable. LOL.

Solved! And I didn't have to do anything! haha. Seriously, it's a little disconcerting knowing that this can just happen with no warning and no ability to solve in the future but, I'm glad everything's back. It all just reappeared. No folders, mind you, and in no particular order. I went to bed, woke up, checked my email and suddenly noticed that my screen was full of icons. Even my Angry Birds records were saved! 3-stars on everything! Yea, I went there. Shameless shout out to Angry Birds and my record. hahaha. Good luck everyone! Hopefully this gets resolved for you as easily as it did for me.
    Last edited by DarkeTemplar; 2010-10-01 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost