Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 4 factory unlocked upgrade

Default Iphone 4 factory unlocked upgrade
    Hi! I have a factory unlocked Iphone 4 running on 4.0.2 and I want to upgrade to 4.1

If I do upgrade through Itunes without using TinyUmbrella, will I risk losing my baseband or will my phone remain unlocked?

From what I have been reading recently, factory unlocked Iphones can't be locked and the main use for TU is just to keep the baseband. I'm not exactly a pro at this so I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

unlocks for factory unlocked devices are handled by Apple's servers. you cant accidently lock it.
    60% of the time, it works every time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Madman604x For This Useful Post:

kalr (2010-09-29)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

^ Yeah. Upgrade all you want :P if it is indeed factory unlocked, it's always going to be unlocked.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

kalr (2010-09-29)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah. You have yourself a rare gem and I am jealous. Have fun with upgrading.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kumputer For This Useful Post:

kalr (2010-09-29)

Thanks guys! Can I upgrade manually as well if I already have the 4.1 firmware (the shift + restore function) or only through Apple servers?
    Last edited by kalr; 2010-09-29 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalr View Post
    Thanks guys! Can I upgrade manually as well if I already have the 4.1 firmware (the shift + restore function) or only through Apple servers?
    You can do it either way. Your unlock is permanent as long as you can legitimately activate (which you can as long as you have iTunes and any SIM).

You'll need SHSHs from Apple or Cydia/TinyUmbrella (which gets them from Apple anyway) for the filesystem and the unlock token from Apple as part of the activation process. The phone will keep the NCK written into the seczone; if it needs a new activation, Apple will supply a new token.

Essentially, you need Apple's servers, but doing it the automated way OR the manual way (or even the TinyUmbrella baseband-preservation and grab SHSH way) will all contact the servers and will get your phone re-unlocked.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

kalr (2010-09-29)

Quote Originally Posted by orbyorb View Post
    You can do it either way. Your unlock is permanent as long as you can legitimately activate (which you can as long as you have iTunes and any SIM).

You'll need SHSHs from Apple or Cydia/TinyUmbrella (which gets them from Apple anyway) for the filesystem and the unlock token from Apple as part of the activation process. The phone will keep the NCK written into the seczone; if it needs a new activation, Apple will supply a new token.

Essentially, you need Apple's servers, but doing it the automated way OR the manual way (or even the TinyUmbrella baseband-preservation and grab SHSH way) will all contact the servers and will get your phone re-unlocked.
    Thanks for all your help!!!