Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SHAtter - will it void my warranty?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Thanks

Default SHAtter - will it void my warranty?
    Hey guys. Well simple question really. I know that with a jailbreak such as Spirit etc, if you are returning the phone to Apple for a repair or something, all you do is a simple restore and there's no trace of a jailbreak. Since SHAtter is a bootrom exploit, does that mean Apple can find out if it has been jailbroke? Since it will be "pwned for life". Thanks.

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

It's the same type of jailbreak as pwnage and redsn0w. If you take your phone into the store in a jailbroken state they will void your warranty. If you restore and take your phone in for a legit warranty issue they will exchange it since protocol does not dictate dumping and reviewing the system logs.

To sum up - don't worry so much... just restore if you have a warranty issue and you'll be fine.

iPhone? More like MyPhone CaptBojank's Avatar
    Thanks

The "pwned for life" thing just means they can't close the loophole that is being exploited by the JB, without a hardware mod. Technically you can restore and it will remove all traces of the jailbreak, but Apple considers that a void of warranty. So to answer you directly, no, there will be no trace left.

It's up to you beyond that point.
    --= Fortes fortuna adiuvat =--

Like Poseidon said, if they really really wanted to, they could probably trace the jailbreak even after a restore. But will they? Probably not, they usually just swap no questions asked

iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah ok awesome, thanks for the help guys. I just thought maybe this one was different since it's a bootrom exploit etc lol. Thanks!

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe