Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Which iTunes to use?

Default Which iTunes to use?
    Hi. I remember a few months back when there were reports that newer versions of iTunes were not good for jailbroken phones. A few weeks ago, we received word that iTunes were safe for jailbroken phones. But did it mean for all firmware versions and all methods of jailbreak or only for the most recent jailbreak? If I were to update my phone from 3.12 to 3.13 using Sn0wbreeze, do I update my iTunes from 9.0 to the 10.1 that is currently out?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

iTunes 10.1 is safe for all jailbroken iphone. As long as you dont need to use blackra1n or spirit to jailbreak you will be fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Curious D (2010-09-28)

I'm currently have blackra1n. If I upgrade, should I keep my currently iTunes until the jailbreak is successful or does Sn0wbreeze require a newer version of iTunes first? Thanks again.

By the way, would you upgrade to 4.1 or 3.13 with a 3GS?

iPhone 3GS 32GB running on firmware 3.12 jailbroken with Blackra1n. F0recast indicates baseband 05.11.07, bootloader 6.4, and model MC137.

Thanks

You can only use sn0wbreeze if you have a old bootrom 3GS (use idetector to find out). If new bootrom you need SHSH for 3.1.3 if you want to restore to 3.1.3. Otherwise itunes will force you to update to 4.1.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Curious D (2010-09-28)

I have restored my iPhone several times to 3.12. I have SHSH blobs to 4.02. I think that I have the old bootrom because I remember all the talk about the new bootrom after I purchased my iPhone (and the threat of losing jailbreaking with the new bootrom). I have attempted to look up my bootrom, but the method described on the web did not help.

I see that your iPhone is 4.0.1. Do you recommend 4.1 over 3.13 for the iPhone 3GS?

Seeing that you are Laker fan, I was going to ask if you were hit by the black outs last night, but it seems you are from Bermuda. I'm in LA and some of us had power loss (probably due to the heat which reached 113 F or 45 C).

Thanks

As long as you are old bootrom then you can restore to a custom 4.1 no problem from your current position. I would definitely recommend it for a 3GS. Only on a 3G does 4.0 and up run sluggish.
    Yup, Lakers fan in Bermuda so no blackouts for me

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Curious D (2010-09-28)

Thanks for your input. Is there a reason why you would recommend 4.1 over 3.1.3? I have read about cellular connection problems and wifi connection problems after upgrading to 4.1. Many of the features of 4.1 (Multitasking, folders, wallpaper) are features I have with the jailbreak. The features I would miss are the unified email, voice activated time, and ensuring app upgrades (which is the main reason for my upgrading). Are there other features of 4.1 that I'm missing that you see in your device that drives your feeling that 4.1 is the better upgrade? Sorry for the multitude of questions, but you seem very knowledgeable about this and I wish to make the most informed decision.

Thanks

I dont really like the jailbreak methods of multitasking/folders/wallpapers so that was the main reason I prefer post 4.0. Gamecenter is also a fun addition, has me playing games i hadn't played in a while. Just my opinion though.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Curious D (2010-09-28)

Thanks for all your input. I truly appreciate your time in giving me your insight.