Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help a newbie PLEASE!!! :)

Default Help a newbie PLEASE!!! :)
    Hi all, hopefully someone here can help, you seem a knowledgable bunch.

I bought my first iphone a few weeks back, 16GB 3GS, really nice but as yet I still havent been able to use it properly as it`s locked onto o2 and I am on vodafone.

Heres where I think the problem arises and regretably I think it`s all my own fault. As soon as I got the phone I downloaded itunes to my laptop and sync`d the phone, then something about updating the software popped up and I thought yeah alright whats the harm? Did that and was quite pleased when everything went ok and the phone turned back on then I set about looking for information on how to unlock it and my god theres a lot of reading!

So i`ve now read so much that i`ve baffled myself totally but here is what I know: I have a 3GS on ios 4.1 and I assume since I did it directly through itunes latest baseband (whatever that means), the phone has never been jailbroken or unlocked before (this seems to be important), I have no idea what bootrom the phone is on.

Can anyone tell me if I can jailbreak and unlock this phone and if so how I go about it or have I shot myself in the foot by upgrading to 4.1? Also point me in the direction of a good beginners guide to jailbreak so I dont have to ask what I`m sure are basic questions!

Sorry about the length of the post but I wanted to include as much info as I could. Thank you in advance for any help anyone can offer

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Maybe I should make a template instead of repeating a hundred times , you guys don't seem to read or research first but like to be spoon fed..
    The very first thing you have to do is to download Tiny Umbrella.
    Plug your iphone in.
    Run Tiny umbrella.
    Click Adv Tab
    Device /Version : highlight 3GS 4.0.1 shsh
    Request : Cydia
    Click Save Shsh
    Wait for Answer : If it says you are too late.
    Then you have to wait for new jailbreak.
    If it says Yes, restoring to this OS will succeed , then post back
    and I will proceed to help you to downgrade and jailbreak but not unlock.

Ok just done that and it came back saying I`m too late, thanks for the help anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Then you have to wait, but do the same thing for 4.1 now so that Cydia will save it for you and you also store it locally for future restore. You don't have to be jailbroken to do that.