Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tiny Umbrella Help

Random Thanks Collector Richard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 549 Posts

Default Tiny Umbrella Help
    Hi all

Can somebody please tell me if you need to edit your own HOSTS files if you use tiny umbrella.

because when we first started to get Saurik to back up or blobs we had to edit our own HOSTS files. So i was wondering if Tiny umbrella does all this for you ?

and if you dont run Tiny umbrella does itunes just connect to its own server ?

and finaly does using tiny umbrella keep you old baseband ?

Thanks in advance guys
    Last edited by Richard; 2010-09-26 at 05:59 PM.
    . I Am the Random Thanks Collector So Please Press the Thanks Button

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

1. If you use the newest TinyUmbrella version, the tool edits the hosts file for you.

2. iTunes connects to Apple when there are no references to gs.apple.com in the hosts file.

3. TinyUmbrella will prevent baseband upgrade ONLY on iPhone 4. Not any of the previous devices.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    1. If you use the newest TinyUmbrella version, the tool edits the hosts file for you.

2. iTunes connects to Apple when there are no references to gs.apple.com in the hosts file.

3. TinyUmbrella will prevent baseband upgrade ONLY on iPhone 4. Not any of the previous devices.
    Thanks

I am running the latest Tinyubrella. But i have a factory unlocked iPhone 4 so i dont need to keep my base band and when i updated to 4.1 it kept my base band at 01.59.00. Now i understand that this does not matter as there is no benefit to upgrading your baseband (Or is there ?) but if i wanted to do a clean upgrade with itunes how would i get it to ignore tinyubrella and just go to its own server. And if its editing the host file can who ever tells me speak to me like a four year old as it will need to be step by step as i dont want to mess up the hosts files.

Oh and if it was edit your hosts files would running Tinyubrella again edit them again ?

Thanks in advance

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pratt1503 View Post
    Thanks

I am running the latest Tinyubrella. But i have a factory unlocked iPhone 4 so i dont need to keep my base band and when i updated to 4.1 it kept my base band at 01.59.00. Now i understand that this does not matter as there is no benefit to upgrading your baseband (Or is there ?) but if i wanted to do a clean upgrade with itunes how would i get it to ignore tinyubrella and just go to its own server. And if its editing the host file can who ever tells me speak to me like a four year old as it will need to be step by step as i dont want to mess up the hosts files.

Oh and if it was edit your hosts files would running Tinyubrella again edit them again ?

Thanks in advance
    You'll need to play with the hosts file located at cWindows\System32\drivers\etc\. Don't worry, it's not hard What you need is to remove all references to gs.apple.com by putting a # sign in front of the line. You can see how it's supposed to look by looking in the file. The first 10-15 lines are a description of what the file is for and all of those lines have a # sign in front it. That sign is to tell the OS to ignore the line. So, the easiest thing for you is to open it with notepad and put in that sign in front of any line that has the gs.apple.com part in it (there should only be one line). After you've edited it, you just save the file. When it's saved, make sure the file has no extension, meaning it doesn't say hosts.txt or similar. hosts is exactly what it should read.

Alternatively, since TinyUmbrella makes a backup of the original hosts file, you can look for the file called hosts.umbrellla in the same directory as mentioned earlier and rename that file to hosts and just overwrite the hosts file that is already there.

You might need administrator rights when you do this. I'm not really sure as I can't remember how it works on XP. You do need it on Vista and 7.

Hope it works out for you and reply back if you have any trouble or questions.

Thanks

You'll need to play with the hosts file located at c:WindowsSystem32driversetc. Don't worry, it's not hard What you need is to remove all references to gs.apple.com by putting a # sign in front of the line. You can see how it's supposed to look by looking in the file. The first 10-15 lines are a description of what the file is for and all of those lines have a # sign in front it. That sign is to tell the OS to ignore the line. So, the easiest thing for you is to open it with notepad and put in that sign in front of any line that has the gs.apple.com part in it (there should only be one line). After you've edited it, you just save the file. When it's saved, make sure the file has no extension, meaning it doesn't say hosts.txt or similar. hosts is exactly what it should read.

Alternatively, since TinyUmbrella makes a backup of the original hosts file, you can look for the file called hosts.umbrellla in the same directory as mentioned earlier and rename that file to hosts and just overwrite the hosts file that is already there.

You might need administrator rights when you do this. I'm not really sure as I can't remember how it works on XP. You do need it on Vista and 7.

Hope it works out for you and reply back if you have any trouble or questions.

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I just need you to clarify that i have it right.

My HOSTS files read :
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

And my HOSTS.Umbrella reads :
    #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

So if i was going to restore a firmwear with Tiny umbrella i would run Tiny and not do any thing at all with the HOSTS file ? and this would let me restore to my blobs saved with Cydia.

And if i wanted to do a Stock update with itunes i would put a # in-front of the 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com and not touch tiny at all?

Then after the update via itunes i would just remove the # from the front again to let tiny work in the future ?

Can you please just let me know if that's right. and thanks for taking the time to answer

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

With no sign in front of a line it means you want iTunes to contacts that specific IP.

127.0.0.1 is your own machine.
    74.208.10.249 is Cydia.

When you want to restore/upgrade with iTunes just contacting Apple, you put the sign in front of both lines.

When you want to restore/upgrade/downgrade using TinyUmbrella you put a sign in front of the Cydia line.

When you want to restore/upgrade/downgrade using Cydia you put a sign in front of the TinyUmbrella line.

Not sure if that explained it well enough. Ask again if it didn't.

i have a iphone 4 fw 4.0 already jb and unlock now i saved the files in cydia hitting the make my life easier correct. i would like to restore the phone to 4.0 which is the same it has now but everytime i use tini umbrella end up with 3002 error and im using shift- restore Any help please is something im doing wrong or what. im running win 7 64bit please help thanks

Thanks

With no sign in front of a line it means you want iTunes to contacts that specific IP.

127.0.0.1 is your own machine.
    74.208.10.249 is Cydia.

When you want to restore/upgrade with iTunes just contacting Apple, you put the sign in front of both lines.

When you want to restore/upgrade/downgrade using TinyUmbrella you put a sign in front of the Cydia line.

When you want to restore/upgrade/downgrade using Cydia you put a sign in front of the TinyUmbrella line.

Not sure if that explained it well enough. Ask again if it didn't.
    Just one thing. I dont seem to have a tinyumbrella line ?

So would i just run it and let it kill itunes and it would direct its self ? but Tiny gets them from Cydia anyway doesn't it ? so the 74.208.10.249 should have no # and my machine should have a # ?

Thanks again

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pratt1503 View Post
    Just one thing. I dont seem to have a tinyumbrella line ?

So would i just run it and let it kill itunes and it would direct its self ? but Tiny gets them from Cydia anyway doesn't it ? so the 74.208.10.249 should have no # and my machine should have a # ?

Thanks again
    TinyUmbrella sets up a server on your own computer. That means when you want iTunes to contact TinyUmbrella, you make the 127.0.0.1 the 'active' line by not having a sign in front of it (TU of course also needs to be running).

In short, 127.0.0.1 is the TinyUmbrella line.

TinyUmbrella gets the SHSHs from either Apple or Cydia. That's something you set up within TU itself. Under advanced settings, you can select the source (Apple/Cydia).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

Richard (2010-09-29)