Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sorry if in wrong place...I want to jailbreak a 3g iphone...

Default Sorry if in wrong place...I want to jailbreak a 3g iphone...
    My dad is getting a ne iphone 4. I going to inherit his IPhone 3 and this ones os is 3.0.1. Now I think its jailbroken...he can theter for free....

tldr-Iphone is 3.0.1 might be jailbroken.. I want to update to os 4 and have it jailbroken. Before I do this I want to wipe out everything and then jail break it.

I have extensive experience with modding things. My psp wii xbox and current phone are modded. So just point me to the proper guides!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Welcome to MMi,
    You may want to start in the "Guides" section.
    Or, you can check out this thread, it will point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Welcome to MMi,
    You may want to start in the "Guides" section.
    Or, you can check out this thread, it will point you in the right direction.
    I cant read pdfs right now...I do know this iphone is jailbreakable but I mainly want to know if there is a way to tell if its hacked and if so how do I go about updating the damn thing and wiping it clean.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

^Again, I would search through the guides section. Everything is there for all the J/B info you need.

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ^Again, I would search through the guides section. Everything is there for all the J/B info you need.
    Alright well in my case I have to upgrade to 3.1.2...How exaclty do I upgrade the firmware like that? I mean wont itune want to put the latest firnware effectively screwing me over? after that I go to jailbreak me.com jailbreak the 3.1.2 then follow that snow something guide to get to 4.0. Is there anything im missing? BTW the Guide said it's for 3GS.... I'm assuming 3g is the same process correct?
    Last edited by rubsnick; 2010-09-26 at 03:36 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

On a 3G phone I'd recommend either staying on 3.1.x or going to 4.1. 4.0-4.0.2 lags the 3G badly. What you wanna do is jb where it is at right now with Redsn0w. Then create a custom firmware with Sn0wbreeze (newest version) for 4.1 with a stock fw you'll have to download. Then shift+restore in iTunes to the 4.1 custom fw you create with S.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    On a 3G phone I'd recommend either staying on 3.1.x or going to 4.1. 4.0-4.0.2 lags the 3G badly. What you wanna do is jb where it is at right now with Redsn0w. Then create a custom firmware with Sn0wbreeze (newest version) for 4.1 with a stock fw you'll have to download. Then shift+restore in iTunes to the 4.1 custom fw you create with S.B.

Ok... Well what would the Custom Firmware allow me to do.... I'm a bit confused once you told me to update it to 4.1.... didn't you state that it was slow and laggy? If you could clarify then thanks.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

4.0-4.0.2 is laggy. Not 4.1, that fixes the 3G phones lag.

The custom firmware is just another way to jailbreak the phone. So after you restore to your newly created custom firmware, you'll not have to do anything afterwards; you'd already be jailbroken.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

no there was a period in his post after 4.1...... a custom firmware will n ot update the baseband if you plan to unlock the phone..... and it also installs the famous cydia onto the phone..... i havent gotten it to work but if you share a success story later i might just try to do this

haha anniex you beat me too.... you explain things better anyways
    Last edited by drog92; 2010-09-26 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Learn to type faster dragon!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Learn to type faster dragon!
    haha i just gt on here for today..... i was just reading and seent that you hadnt replied yet so i figured that i would....

Alright.... So essentially what I want to do is jailbreak my phone as is and then put 4.1 custom firmware in it. This way I'll have the latest Iphone OS that works the best... Is their a guide someone can link me? All I find on this site is how to go to 4.0...

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Correct. What guide are you looking for? How to JB 3.0.1 and how to use Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2?

The jb for 3.0.1 is pretty simple. Download Redsn0w 0.8 for your system OS. Download the 3.0 stock ipsw. When you open redsn0w, select the 3.0 ipsw and just follow the on-screen instructions.

To use Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 after your successful jb on 3.0.1, that's pretty simple too. Download a stock 4.1 ipsw. Download Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 from iH8sn0w(dot)com. Open it and select your 4.1 ipsw. Follow the instructions to creating the custom fw. Pretty straightforward stuff.

When you've created it, note where it is saved so you can access it in iTunes. Open iTunes and shift+restore (option+restore on Mac) to the custom fw you created. Please make sure you're not selecting the stock 4.1 cuz you'll be mad if you do. Make sure make sure make sure it is the custom fw you made.

iTunes should restore it to 4.1 and you should be JB after it finishes.