Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3Gs Stuck in DFU

Default 3Gs Stuck in DFU
    I read that on a forum to use sn0wbreeze and if you used spirit you had to download a fix on cydia. Well when I did that there was an error and rebooted and is now stuck in DFU mode. I tried ireb and irecovery and even tried to put 4.1 on it and nothing works. I need help! Have tried everything. It won't even go into recovery mode with arrow and logo. It is always on and in DFU. iTunes will push a 28 error code when trying to put original 4.1 on it.

Im in exactly the same situation..... have a brick with a black screen.

Now that you mention it, I also did try to install the fix thing in Cydia but it failed and I uninstalled it (forced uninstall), after that the phone was working fine until I ran out of battery and now it wont start.

Whoever wrote that piece of code will not have kneecaps if I get my hands on him

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

I am afraid i have to give you this bad news, if error 28 comes on and it always stays in DFU mode and cannot trigger into recovery mode, you have bricked your iphone.
    Try restoring to 4.1 , i am quite sure you can't even restore to the current iOS 4.1 & you will get error 28 as well.

Read this : http://modmyi.com/forums/general/729...ade-4-1-a.html
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-26 at 01:44 AM.

Youre right, I cant even restore to the official 4.1 it fails with the same error code

So now its just a paperweight? WTF im getting an android phone, Screw apple

This sucks!!! That is terrible news. I hope there is a way to unbrick in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
    This sucks!!! That is terrible news. I hope there is a way to unbrick in the future.

I know a good way, find out who wrote Spirit2Pwn and shove the brick where the sun doesnt shine.....

Thanks

I have only one suggestion, if your 3GS is still under warranty, take it back to Apple Store and get an exchange, don't tell them what you did, just say I don't know what happen, it just went blank.

Thanks, I was just thinking of sending it in..... however I have heard that the Apple warranty is not an international one. Meaning the phone has to be sent back to the country it was purchased from.

I bought mine from ebay and I have no idea which country it came from. I just know it wasnt from germany (I tried a T-Mobile SIM as I live in Germany).

Is this true? And is there a way to find out what country it came from?

Apples website tells me "your phone has not been activated"..... will this have an impact on my warranty?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Have you guys tried at least holding the home and power button for 10 seconds, release and wait a second, then try to power back up? Or try another computer. Sometimes the simple things fix the problems.

To be honest, it does look like the phone got bricked...and I honestly don't think there's much you could do if it's stuck in the recovery loop. But it's better to try than not at all.

Edit: have you tried iReb too?
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-09-26 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Yes, from here :
    iPhone 3G/3Gs Model Numbers Country and Carrier - GSM-Forum

Quote Originally Posted by blingal View Post
    I know a good way, find out who wrote Spirit2Pwn and shove the brick where the sun doesnt shine.....
    If you really want to use Spirit2pwn, don't use the one from Cydia.
    Ssh into your iphone and do the transfer of files manually and then execute the commands, it is a much safer way to go if you do it correctly.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-26 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

blingal (2010-09-26)

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Have you guys tried at least holding the home and power button for 10 seconds, release and wait a second, then try to power back up? Or try another computer. Sometimes the simple things fix the problems.

To be honest, it does look like the phone got bricked...and I honestly don't think there's much you could do if it's stuck in the recovery loop. But it's better to try than not at all.

Edit: have you tried iReb too?
    Thanks for the tip, yes I did try this, also iReb and iRecovery....no no avail

Have opened a case with applecare and will see what they say. I am assuming even if they wont cover it under warranty I will have the option of them sending it back to me unrepaired and i will still be able to use it as a paperweight

Yeah, I have tried everything, even simple ways. I have a 4G anyway but wanted to sell the 3Gs to make up for some of the money. Guess have a useless phone now. Anyone want to by it for parts? Hahaha

ok spirit2pwn does work it requires you to be in 3.x frm !! not 4.0.1 thats what the original tutorial didn't say and its was a mistake... fortunately ih8sn0w and the creator of thaat repo worked together and came up with jbme2pwn just released today...so

FIRST DON'T PANIC

your iphone is not dead or screwed..

downgrade to 4.0.1 and re jailbreak with jailbreakme. just try a different computer and make sure you edit hosts file manually don't use tiny umbrella **** sometimes that makes issues just doit manually heres a good tutorial on how to downgrade... [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H0-Fk-d3gM[/ame]

once you get cydia back install jbme2pwn its a fix just released today for people like you and me previously...now nothing will hapen. reboot phone and it will be ok...now use sn0wbreeze 2! and cook 4.1 custom!

dont panic restore to 4.0.1 (requires shsh blobs on cydia) look for a tutorial on how to downgrade most of the restore there will be a blank screen and it will take longer than usual.... yet again DON'T PANIC and wait till it finishes... read my thread on this

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/730...-released.html

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Yes, from here :
    iPhone 3G/3Gs Model Numbers Country and Carrier - GSM-Forum

If you really want to use Spirit2pwn, don't use the one from Cydia.
    Ssh into your iphone and do the transfer of files manually and then execute the commands, it is a much safer way to go if you do it correctly.
    Negative, spirit2pwn only works for 3.x firmwares NOT jailbreakme ones (4.x) you need to use JBME2PWN (just released today)
    Last edited by apollo_1444; 2010-09-26 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Apollo you seem to know what youre talking about. My problem is I cannot restore to any firmware whatsoever. I always get Error 28, using umbrella or not. As soon as I can restore to anything I will be fine....me thinks.

I found 74.208.10.249 on saurik's site as the server address a while ago, but youre using 105.171 in your video. Just tried that as well..... error 28....

Oh and one more thing, I have tried this on Windows 7, XP, using iTunes 10 and 9.2 all with the same results
    Last edited by blingal; 2010-09-26 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blingal View Post
    Apollo you seem to know what youre talking about. My problem is I cannot restore to any firmware whatsoever. I always get Error 28, using umbrella or not. As soon as I can restore to anything I will be fine....me thinks.

I found 74.208.10.249 on saurik's site as the server address a while ago, but youre using 105.171 in your video. Just tried that as well..... error 28....

Oh and one more thing, I have tried this on Windows 7, XP, using iTunes 10 and 9.2 all with the same results
    ]delete all the lines in the hosts file and add jusst only one...not two add the one in the video
    that sucks.. apparently its a hardware issue :S try replacing the iphone some folks opened the iphone and disconnected the battery then waited till it drained and then it worked they could happily restored... look in the ih8sn0w forums.

Thanks

I am quite sure the iphone is pretty much screwed, to make it simple, if you can't even restore to 4.1 which is currently signed by Apple, what makes you think you can downgrade. Error 28 is imminent, this is worst than applying Spirit on top of Blackra1n when Spirit first came out.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Right, most cases of error 28 seem to be hardware related or a recovery cycle that can't be broken. You can either replace the dock connector and hope that fixes the issue, or sell the phone for parts and get another.

Yep, tried everything mentioned here. Is dead. Maybe a future jailbreak that uses DFU mode will pop it out of that mode or maybe a future update would work. Either way, I think am going to sell it for parts. Thank you guys for your information and if there is a breakthrough solution, post it. I will keep checking around and this thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
    Yep, tried everything mentioned here. Is dead. Maybe a future jailbreak that uses DFU mode will pop it out of that mode or maybe a future update would work. Either way, I think am going to sell it for parts. Thank you guys for your information and if there is a breakthrough solution, post it. I will keep checking around and this thread.
    Error 28 is hardware-related, usually a dead or otherwise malfunctioning/bad driver(s) on the USB system.

I don't think Apple can fix these without taking the phone apart, replacing everything USB-related, and flashing the phone's NOR/NAND again.

Take it back to an Apple Store, plead for mercy at the Genius Bar, hope to get lucky.

I am going to send it back to Apple, have opened a case with Applecare and they will send me a returns box, and then I will see what they say. I am hoping that apple will also not be able to boot the brick, otherwise they will see that its been jailbroken and instead of the phone ill be screwed

Once I have sent it in and heard from Apple I will make sure to let you guys know

Thanks for all your tips and advices

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast