Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3Gs Stuck in DFU

That's awesome news blingal! Am glad it all went well for you. Jailbreak is probably days away now and you will be back in business. :-D

This thread is actually really useful. Someone should compile the info from it into a sticky for future reference. I might do it later when I'm not drunk (don't want to get any facts wrong xD)

By the way Blingal did you send the phone back to Apple in your country and they accepted it? This would be useful info for me since I'm in NZ but I buy my phones from USA. Cheers
    Last edited by bellyfrog; 2010-10-07 at 07:37 AM.

Bellyfrog, My phone was originally purchased off eBay from a dodgy seller.... long story short I found out it wasnt even a german phone. All the phones sold in germany are locked to T-mobile. But mine is locked to something else so I suspect it was sold in Italy or Belgium. I live in germany though.

I opened a case online with apple, there was no ifs and buts whatsoever. It was fast and the most painless warranty experience I ever had. They even sent me an empty box and a paid UPS slip to ship the phone in. The phone was shipped to Amsterdam and the replacement came from the same place.

However, it was very surprising to see that the replacement phone I received was also locked, and not to t-mobile in germany, but to something else. I dont have a belgian or italian sim so I cant test.

So apple must have records of what serial numbers were sold through what carriers and therefore are able to lock them to the same carriers when replacing them..... unfortunately in this case very sophisticated
    Last edited by blingal; 2010-10-07 at 10:48 PM.

Default FIXED this issue just now
    Hey All,

1st time poster here but thought that people might want to try this if they are having the "Unable to restore an unknown error occured (28)" problem

I did what a lot of others done and used spirit2pwn by mistake and bricked my phone, then iTunes 10 would not let me restore it again giving the above error.

I fixed this by removing iTunes 10 and installing iTunes 9.21 and that let me restore my firmware, you will have to delete the "itunes library.itl" file or iTunes will not start.

I am now in the process of taking my phone back from IOS 4.1 to a version I can JB again. But i have a working iPhone again so i'm happy

Quote Originally Posted by Mad3813 View Post
    Hey All,

1st time poster here but thought that people might want to try this if they are having the "Unable to restore an unknown error occured (28)" problem

I did what a lot of others done and used spirit2pwn by mistake and bricked my phone, then iTunes 10 would not let me restore it again giving the above error.

I fixed this by removing iTunes 10 and installing iTunes 9.21 and that let me restore my firmware, you will have to delete the "itunes library.itl" file or iTunes will not start.

I am now in the process of taking my phone back from IOS 4.1 to a version I can JB again. But i have a working iPhone again so i'm happy
    Do you say you fix the stuck in DFU and (28) error w/o removing the battery or anything else. Can you please provide us with the link for iTunes 9.21 I will give it a try, and what o system do you use.

Can you provide some info about your iPhone and the issue you had? you restore to which FW?
    Last edited by so0lid; 2010-10-09 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blingal View Post
    Youre right, I cant even restore to the official 4.1 it fails with the same error code

So now its just a paperweight? WTF im getting an android phone, Screw apple
    Yeah because it's Apple's fault and all.

I tried using a previous version of iTunes and it didn't work. Only thing that did work for me was to disconnect the battery. Is good that it worked for you. Mine must have been worse off.

My phone is an iPhone 3gs, previously Jailbroken on 4.0.1

All restored from bricked done on Windows 7 x64, my iPhone is synced with my Macbook pro.

I wanted to install IOS4, so I ran spirit2pwn (wrong!!) bricked (went into DFU and i couldn't get it out again) the phone.

Here is where i got iTunes 9.21 from:

Old Version of iTunes 9.0 Download - OldApps.com

You have a choice on the left, I used 9.2.1 (64-bit)

I restored to the current 4.1 proper firmware, which worked, then i used the same verison of iTunes to reinstall an older 4.0.1 custom bundle (my SHSH's are on file at Cydia) this didn't work properly so i restored the 4.1 back again and just used limera1n to jailbreak 4.1 (Geohot rocks)

limera1n for the 4.1 jailbreak

Anyone wanting to install a custom 4.1 firmware on a Spirit or jailbreakme unlocked device should use jbme2pwn NOT spirit2pwn!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123