Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS JB'd on Spirit want to restore to 4.1

Default iPhone 3GS JB'd on Spirit want to restore to 4.1
    I have used Spirit to JB my 3.1.2 iPhone software and still have the old bootrom loaded. I have thought about upgrading to 4.1 thru iTunes then using sn0wbreeze to JB that. Can anybody tell me if there are issues with doing this? I have tried to use all the advice to upgrade to 4.1 but spirit JB makes it a little difficult.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Thanks

Use spirit2pwn then create a custom 4.1 with sn0wbreeze and restore to that. Do NOT uprgrade to 4.1 directly through iTunes.

I've installed spirit2pwn from Cydia and then ran sn0wbreeze. The first time I ran it I received an error I couldn't use sn0wbreeze but needed to use something else, spirit2pwn I believe.

I would prefer not to use the 4.1 restore then JB it again but some of the instructions are talking about stuff way above my understanding, like copy and paste files directly into the phone's script file. Sorry, I am computer smart enough to get myself into trouble but smart enough to know when to get help.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Oops , just read that the spirit2pwn from Cydia, doesn't really work. You have to do it manually to be on the safe side.

This tool can be used to flash pwned nor files (containing LLB exploit) on the phone running Spirit JB (script has hardcoded offsets for 3.1.3 3GS).

*Now flasher checks that all files exist before flashing them.
    http://code.google.com/p/iphone-img3...rit2pwn_r2.zip

Unpack pwned(!) 3.1.3 firmware, copy all the files from iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Custom_Restore\Firmware\all_f lash\all_flash.n88ap.production folder to /tmp directory your phone. You can use CyberDuck or WinSCP to do that. Copy those files directly to the /tmp, not to a subfolder: LLB should be at /tmp/LLB.n88ap.RELEASE.img3, etc.!
    Extract the contents of the spirit2pwn_r2.zip archive to /tmp directory on the phone.
    Run the following commands on the iPhone: (Use ssh or PuTTY).
    cd /tmp

chmod 755 pwn_old_boot_r2.sh
    ./pwn_old_boot_r2.shNow reboot and your iboot and llb should be pwned, and you can restore to a custom FW now
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-25 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Oops , just read that the spirit2pwn from Cydia, doesn't really work. You have to do it manually to be on the safe side.

This tool can be used to flash pwned nor files (containing LLB exploit) on the phone running Spirit JB (script has hardcoded offsets for 3.1.3 3GS).

*Now flasher checks that all files exist before flashing them.
    spirit2pwn_r2.zip - iphone-img3-flasher - Package rev 2 - Project Hosting on Google Code

Unpack pwned(!) 3.1.3 firmware, copy all the files from iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Custom_RestoreFirmwareall_fla shall_flash.n88ap.production folder to /tmp directory your phone. You can use CyberDuck or WinSCP to do that. Copy those files directly to the /tmp, not to a subfolder: LLB should be at /tmp/LLB.n88ap.RELEASE.img3, etc.!
    Extract the contents of the spirit2pwn_r2.zip archive to /tmp directory on the phone.
    Run the following commands on the iPhone: (Use ssh or PuTTY).
    cd /tmp

chmod 755 pwn_old_boot_r2.sh
    ./pwn_old_boot_r2.shNow reboot and your iboot and llb should be pwned, and you can restore to a custom FW now

Yes, I've read this information before I posted my question. Like I said, some stuff I can do and understand and some I know when not to try. I've looked for CyberDuck on Cydia but didn't see it. I'm not 100% confident with changing the script on my iPhone, that is something I would like to leave to someone else. I've tried to download the file directly from the phone but that didn't happen.

Is there a problem with restoring to 4.1 thru iTunes then JBing using sn0wbreeze? I haven't seen any posts saying it would cause the phone to melt down or cause it to stop functioning. Do people just not want to spend the extra time doing it that way?

Thank you,
    Jeff