Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need to upgrade 3GS 3.1.2 to 4.0

Default Need to upgrade 3GS 3.1.2 to 4.0
    I just got a jailbroken and unlocked 3GS running OS 3.1.2. Is there any way for me to restore this phone to factory setting to OS 4.0 and then perform jailbreak and unlock? Any help will be appreciated.

There is, but only if you have shsh blobs for 4.0 via cydia.

How can I check that and what are the next steps?

open up cydia and on the first page it will say on top either shsh for 3.XX etc..
    or it will say do you want cydia to make your life easier.
    let me know then we can go from there

It says cydia to make my life easier and I clicked on it.

If it is an old bootrom you can create a custom 4.1 firmware with sn0wbreeze 2.

Quote Originally Posted by sic2005 View Post
    It says cydia to make my life easier and I clicked on it.
    You can as the other person said make a custom firmware, but I would rather wait for a better jailbreak.

As far as you are concerned you do not have shsh blobs for 4.0 so you will not be able to upgrade to that. Apple will only allow you to upgrade to 4.1.

As far as jailbreak for 4.1 sn0wbreeze is available but with conditions. Just google it.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

I created the custom firmware 4.1 using snowbreeze but in the restore process, some error occured and my phone got stuck in recovery mode. I then restored the phone to 4.1 by using iTunes restore and update but now can't downgrade back to 3.1.2.

I tried to add the following in the host file: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com. But when I tried to restore file 3.1.2, iTunes starts veryfying update with Apple and gives me the error 3194. As far as I recall, I did click on "Make my life easier" on Cydia before any update. Am I missing any steps here in the downgrade process?