Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Suggestion for a new sticky thread

Default Suggestion for a new sticky thread
    Hi,

I have a suggestion for a new sticky thread. I think it would be extremely helpful if we had a comparison table for all JB and UL tools. It could look like this?

------------------| Redsn0w | Pwnage | iLiberty | Sn0wbreeze | etc....
    OS supported |----Mac----|----Mac---|-----------|------Win------|
    JB?--------------|----Yes-----|----No----|-----------|-----------------|
    Unlock?---------|----Yes-----|---Yes---|------------|----------------|
    Tethered?------|-----No-----|----No---|------------|----------------|
    iOS supported-|----4.1-----|----4.1---|---3.1X---|------4.1------|

I made the above table just to give you an idea about what I am talking about. The info above IS NOT ACCURATE. I just randomly put yes, no, etc. But, you get the idea. What do you think? I hope Modmyi can implement this idea

GT
    Last edited by GoldenTequila; 2010-09-24 at 07:25 PM.

I think anniex made something similar to that called "are you jailbreakable" in a pdf file. But this does look simple and easy to understand..

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It's difficult to make something this simple well, simple. Most all of the devices have conditions that apply. So it becomes device specific. Get my drift? Like if you put Redsn0w, under it would have each version needed per firmware and for which device it is applicable for (like 3GS and 4 don't support it) and the newest is Mac only right now. If you put PwnageTool, it'd be Mac only but then you'd have to specify what firmware and which devices support it (like going up to iOS 4 from 3.1.x only old boot 3GS and not the new boot ones can use it). It's all pretty complicated...

Yea, I saw that thread, but I personally don't like it that much. I mean, there will be a number of OS version if we don't have many already. If they create a row for each one like that, it just keeps becoming a long annoying table. With tools comparison, we just need to change the OS supported as the status changes. No need to keep adding rows endlessly.

And, the complicated part, there are many easier ways to work around it, I think. For example, we can create two tables: One for Mac and one for Windows.

Also, boot and firmware specifications, you can just create a row to indicate that. But, more importantly, this is not meant to be a comprehensive "guide" but rather a "comparison table" that gives the general ideas, which is all some users need/want. They can get technical details after they choose which tool they find attractive and going to the actual guide after that.
    Last edited by GoldenTequila; 2010-09-24 at 07:35 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It would've been a much longer table if I incorporated the 2.x line with new fw releases the older ones will drop out eventually. And with a possible new breakthrough with a better JB, there's a possibility that all devices can use one universal tool to JB with no conditions that apply. And that itself would remove the need for my table, but for now it's needed.

I can see what you would like to happen, but it would be no different than what I've created. It would still have to specify per device what can or cannot be used and specify per firmware and if SHSHs are available to use each tool. Things used to be simple where we could say Redsn0w jailbreaks ALL devices. But now with new devices out, there are a lot of tools with a lot of conditions that apply to each device.

I'd request you make the tables in the format you'd like for me and I can fill in the blanks. But I can already tell it's gonna be a long table too.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-09-24 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

To be honest its a good idea if you can squeeze all the info into tables, but it wont stop people from asking before reading!! hehe lol