Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do I restore my jailbroken iPhone 3GS

Default How do I restore my jailbroken iPhone 3GS
    Hi all I'm kind of new to this jailbreak thing. I jailbroke my iPhone 3GS about two weeks ago. I've installed a few things from cydia with no problems at all yesterday I tried to install a couple of apps & my iPhone went into safe mode & has been doing so since. I did uninstall the few apps that I installed right before this happened & it didn't solve the problem. I wanted to try & remove a few more apps but the phone crashes & goes back into safemode before I can uninstall anything now.
    I'm at the point where I want to restore & rejailbreak my phone & I can't figure out what I need to do so. I've read multiple different ways to do it but I'm confused as to what is the correct way to restore. I'm on firmware 4.0.1 in safe mode right now. I've already downloaded a copy of 4.0.1 that I have saved on my laptop. If anybody can lead me in the right direction as to what I'm supposed to do it would be greatly appreciated. My laptop is running vista if that helps.

Thanks you in advance

You won't be able to restore to 4.0.1 and being that you only jailbroke 2 weeks ago you have not got your shsh blobs saved in time for 4.0.1 which came out months ago.

So you can only restore to 4.1 and currently sn0wbreeze may or maynot work on a 3GS, it depends on whether you have the old boot rom or not and what you used to jailbreak the first time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fc97accord For This Useful Post:

Little257622 (2010-09-25)

Jailbreakme.com

Go to reset and reset all setting
    And mite work it work for me

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gqgarnett For This Useful Post:

How can I check to make sure my shsh isn't saved ? It might have been more than 2 weeks ago

When you say reset are you talking about in the iPhone settings ?
    Last edited by Little257622; 2010-09-24 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Little257622 View Post
    How can I check to make sure my shsh isn't saved ? It might have been more than 2 weeks ago
    open up cydia and on the first page on the top it will say whether you have or it might ask if you want cydia to make your life easier.

If it is the latter then you have to hope you have find out if you have the old boot rom on your phone or not.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fc97accord For This Useful Post:

When you say reset are you talking about in the iPhone settings ?
    Well if you hope to keep your jailbreak DON'T click any of those reset things in Settings, plus if you do you will most likely have to restore

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BenderRodriguez For This Useful Post:

It's says I have shsh 4.0 , 4.0.1 , 4.0.2

It's says I have shsh 4.0 , 4.0.1 , 4.0.2
    You are in luck, that means you can restore to 4.0.1 using tinyumbrella.

Google up a guide to restore using tinyumbrella and also download firmware for your phone, but make sure its 4.0.1.

Good luck

14. The Following User Says Thank You to fc97accord For This Useful Post:

Bump

I think you have to start the rss server with tinyUnbrella and edit your hosts file
    On Mac go to terminal, Type:
    Sudo pico /private/etc/hosts
    Use google and Find the gs.apple.com address and save and exit

Please Thank me if I helped

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BenderRodriguez For This Useful Post:

What does it mean if I get an error message in wordpad when I'm saving the host file that says access to c\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts was denied

What does it mean if I get an error message in wordpad when I'm saving the host file that says access to c\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts was denied
    make sure iTunes and is closed during this process

Your not doing it with administrator rights, a way to get around this is to actually save the file to the desktop, find the real hosts file and

be sure that the new hosts file has the same permissions set up as the old otherwise someone could walk in to your hosts file from the Internet without admin privileges and mutilate the file

delete the old hosts file and replace it with the new, no restart is required but make sure iTunes and is closed during this process

And tinyumbrella automatically edits your host file...

so if i have tinyumbrella it already does that for me ?

Just so i have this correct:
    1. open the host file & add the string to (or does tinyumbrella do that for you)

i want to try this from the top again. Let me tell what i have & where i am at so far.
    1. I have tiny umbrella 4.14
    2. I have a copy of firmware 4.0.1
    3. My 3gs is in safe mode

What do i do first ?
    Last edited by Little257622; 2010-09-25 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Before it was in safe mode was it ever at 4.1 or 4.0.2 if so which one?

The bootrom in the case of 4.0.1 doesn't matter

no never been pass 4.0.1 still on it

Ive got tiny umbrella open & itunes closed, Phone is connected to laptop.
    Tiny umbrella is saying Found (0) shsh files to cache
    Last edited by Little257622; 2010-09-25 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So u never backed up your shah files for 4.0.1? Each device is device specific, you most likely have to go down to 3.1.2 and jailbreak with blackra1n

Yeah i have backed up for 4.0 , 4.0.1, 4.0.2
    thats what i have showing in cydia

If those are showing in green in cydia thats what they have on there server i think ? but when i run tiny umbrella it shows found (0) shsh files to cache... ut also show device conneted make me think the host file is not set up right but how do i redo the host file ?
    What is the proper string to put on the host file ?
    Or does tiny umbrella change the host file automatically for me ? If so if i reinstall tiny umbrella should that fix the problem
    Last edited by Little257622; 2010-09-25 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Bump Help!
    I have never done this method myself just alot of reading up on it

Any body have any ideas ? Just trying to restore because phone keeps crashing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast