Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading Iphone 3.1 to 4.0?

Default Upgrading Iphone 3.1 to 4.0?
    I have decided to upgrade my jailbroken Iphone 3.1 to the iOS4. This is because I have not upgraded for over a year and the new apps all "require" the 4.0. Can anybody explain how to do this? I have never upgraded and I do not want to lose all my information by doing something stupid. Do you recommend upgrading my jailbroken Iphone 3.1 to 4.0? Like is the 4.0 jailbreak buggy? I would appreciate any information on how to upgrade and if it is recommended.

First tell us what phone and have you got your shsh saved via cydia?

I have an Iphone 3GS. And it says SHSH: iOS 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2

Well first regarding backing up your contacts as such either use mobile me or google sync or even the itunes backup to outlook and gmail.
    Apps you ust have to sync back to itunes and it will copy your apps on phone to itunes.

Now to upgrade and still be able to jailbreak you have to use firmware 4.0.1 (for ease of use sake I know about sn0breeze) so download from iclarified or something.

then you have to use tinyumbrella to fool the apple signature servers so you can upgrade to 4.0.1 casue apple is only allowing to upgrade to 4.1

Make sure when you hit the restore button on itunes you hold down shift key.

There are better tutorials out there, I would google it to be safe.