Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: lost all data service in upgrade

Default lost all data service in upgrade
    Hi, I upgraded my iphone 4 to 4.1 using tiny umbrella to hang onto my 1.59 baseband. All went well, except I no longer have data service on my phone. Works fine with wifi, and I have phone and text service via AT&T, but no data service for email, websurfing, apps, etc. Any idea what went wrong? I tried to restore to 4.0.2 and iTunes tells me it can't be done.

Is my only option to upgrade the whole mess including baseband and give up my hopes of soon being jailbroken?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Perhaps you should call AT&T first to see if there's anything they can do about your phone not being able to utilize the data plan.

If they say nothing's wrong, you might just have to restore.

Called AT&T, they are mystified (I of course didn't tell them I'm hacking). The problem now is I don't seem able to restore. Gives me a 3002 error.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

If you don't have SHSHs that's probably what the error is saying. Technically you're not hacking the phone...considering it isn't jailbroken lol. So AT&T had no solution for you at all?

No, no help from AT&T. Think I might just bite the bullet and do a regular upgrade to 4.1, baseband and all. Thx.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well I wanna say there's something else wrong because everything else on the phone works, and it is weird that only the data doesn't work. So I feel like it'd be such a waste if you went and did that and there was something else that couldve been done.

Have you tried installing an APN via unlockit.co.nz? Maybe that will re-enable your ability to use your data.

Edit: the APN you want I believe is wap.cingular
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-09-23 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Also did you try resetting network settings?

Yes, I've reset the network settings. Actually I can't get the little bugger to restore at all. I've tried restoring to 4.0.2; won't do that; I've tried restoring and upgrading to 4.1, figuring I'll move up to whatever baseband Apple wants me on, and it won't do that either. It tells me it can't restore, and then it gives me back my old phone: 4.1 OS, 1.59 baseband, and no data service.

AT&T tried again; said that there might be an app causing the problem (apps that can't cope with 4.1) and I should restore, and then reinstall my apps one by one until I find the fussy one. Only I can't restore.

Calling Apple next . . .