Results 1 to 13 of 13

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Backup an Jailbroken 3G and then upgrading to a iphone4 ?

  1. #1
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lulea, Sweden
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Backup an Jailbroken 3G and then upgrading to a iphone4 ?
    Hi! (again)


    If I got a Jailbroken iPhone 3G (os 3.1.3, spiritJB) and bought a new iPhone4, can I backup my iPhone 3G in itunes and just plug in the iPhone4 and use my backup to restore contacts, photos and such?

    (I don't care about apps/the apps I've gotten through cydia, I'be heard about aptbackup though, I can just install them again.. but the thought of re-entering A LOT of contacts.. just makes me puke)

    Is it possible?

  2. #2
    Regarding backups I would recomend either backing up to google or outlook first. Photos can also be pulled off the phone when you plug it in, then you can just sync it later.

    It is not really a good idea to restore from a backup using a new phone. It is better to restore as a new phone then restore your backups the way I mentioned.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to fc97accord For This Useful Post:

    S2Andreas (2010-09-24)

  4. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    272
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 54 Times in 32 Posts

    What I done was use the "bump" app to transfer my contacts from my 3G to iPhone 4. It worked really well, every single one sent within seconds and I have quite a few.

    Also, you could cut the sim from your 3G into a micro-sim, and on the iPhone 4 just go into settings, and import sim contacts. That way they'll get saved to the phone.

    Edit: you won't be able to restore the iPhone 4 using your 3G backup, as they are different firmware. You'll just get an error or something lol.

    iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Funked View Post
    What I done was use the "bump" app to transfer my contacts from my 3G to iPhone 4. It worked really well, every single one sent within seconds and I have quite a few.

    Also, you could cut the sim from your 3G into a micro-sim, and on the iPhone 4 just go into settings, and import sim contacts. That way they'll get saved to the phone.

    Edit: you won't be able to restore the iPhone 4 using your 3G backup, as they are different firmware. You'll just get an error or something lol.
    That is providing you had your contacts on your sim in the first place. Otherwise go with the first idea or sync to gmail or outlook as a backup.

  6. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    272
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 54 Times in 32 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by fc97accord View Post
    That is providing you had your contacts on your sim in the first place. Otherwise go with the first idea or sync to gmail or outlook as a backup.
    Thats true. Bump was extremely quick and easy to do, the whole syncing thing may take a few mins and get complicated in my opinion lol.

    iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

  7. #6
    Another thing is if you are jailbroken you can go get aptbackup and appbackup from cydia, one backs up saved games and the other backs up cydia download sources and packages extremely handy
    Then ssh in and move those file files to the new iPhone 4 once it's jailbrokenable

  8. #7
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lulea, Sweden
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Good suggestions guys! Being LAZY I'll just throw this out there, is there some nice guide on syncing the contacts to outlook/google? I heard something about exporting them to a file from itunes? then importing them from the file into outlook?

    Anyone?

  9. #8
    Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by S2Andreas View Post
    Good suggestions guys! Being LAZY I'll just throw this out there, is there some nice guide on syncing the contacts to outlook/google? I heard something about exporting them to a file from itunes? then importing them from the file into outlook?

    Anyone?
    You can sync them to your address book, they should do this automatically, just go open your address book/ contacts and have a look

    Then when you get the new iPhone, in iTunes, goto info scroll down check replace contacts on this phone with the computer

    Any luck?

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Funked View Post
    What I done was use the "bump" app to transfer my contacts from my 3G to iPhone 4. It worked really well, every single one sent within seconds and I have quite a few.

    Also, you could cut the sim from your 3G into a micro-sim, and on the iPhone 4 just go into settings, and import sim contacts. That way they'll get saved to the phone.

    Edit: you won't be able to restore the iPhone 4 using your 3G backup, as they are different firmware. You'll just get an error or something lol.
    Loved T-Mo but ATT corp. discount got bumped up to 23%. Made the jump for the iPh4. I backed up my JB'd/ UL'd iPhone 2G running 3.0 FW on T-Mo. I restored my new iPhone 4 from that backup and my firmware version is still 4.0.2. I've had no issues so far. I do have a question though. My contacts all transferred over, but are they on the new SIM as well?

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by iSee View Post
    Loved T-Mo but ATT corp. discount got bumped up to 23%. Made the jump for the iPh4. I backed up my JB'd/ UL'd iPhone 2G running 3.0 FW on T-Mo. I restored my new iPhone 4 from that backup and my firmware version is still 4.0.2. I've had no issues so far. I do have a question though. My contacts all transferred over, but are they on the new SIM as well?
    No the contacts are in stored on the phone, if you pull the sim out and place it in another phone they won't transfer the contacts will remain in your phone no matter what sim you insert

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to BenderRodriguez For This Useful Post:

    iSee (2010-10-01)

  13. #11
    How do I get them onto the sim?

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by iSee View Post
    How do I get them onto the sim?
    Well for one you can't and to do that is STUPID, AT&T told me to do that with 300 contacts and it dropped them into Cyber Space and at the time they were supposed to tell you to do that 3years ago

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by iSee View Post
    How do I get them onto the sim?
    Apple does not do that, your best backup option would be to use gmail, yahoo, outlook etc. to backup your contacts.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •