Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A bit of help required...

Default A bit of help required...
    Hey Guys,

Now, I'm incredibly new to this forum and I hope I am posting in the correct section! Apologies in advance if I'm not.

Basically, my Girlfriend has an iPhone 3GS which WAS jailbroken and unlocked on 3.1.3 as far as I know... She bought it like this and just slung her Sim Card in and all worked fine etc

She attempted to upgrade to 4.1, not understanding the rammifications. Now, her iPhone cannot be used, simply telling her to connect to iTunes.

iTunes says her sim card is not supported or something along those lines. This is the issue, unable to use phone / restore it.

Personally, this is my first foray into iPhones and jailbreaking / modding of iPhones. I have attempted to restore the phone to 3.1.3, 3.0 etc, all to no avail. I have attempted to re-jailbreak it to 3.1.3 using redsn0w I believe.

Are there any solutions to this issue? Being completely new to the Jailbreaking scene, I am still fairly lost in all the terminology and behaviours of the technology.

If there are any possible paths to fix this I'd love to know!

Thanks

since she updated to 4.1 it updated the baseband which isn't unlockable, even if you restore back to 3.1.3 she will not be able to use her sim because the baseband can't be downgraded to one that is unlockable, at this point she will have to wait for the next unlock which hasn't been announced yet

iPhone? More like MyPhone CaptBojank's Avatar
    Thanks

You can run tiny umbrella and see if the SHSH's are on file with Cydia for a downgrade. Even if they are unfortunately like j3st3r3 says, it still won't be unlockable, just jail-breakable.

I'm sure they will work on a new unlock, but who knows when it might be ready.. if ever..
    Last edited by CaptBojank; 2010-09-19 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Typos
    --= Fortes fortuna adiuvat =--

Bump.. Any update guys?

As the other guys said, you can't unlock the phone anymore. You'll have to wait for a while before they release one.

If you want to restore it to use as an iPod, you can use TinyUmbrella to grab SHSH blobs and then downgrade. There are tutorials on the site on how to do this.

Then you'll have to activate the phone, either use a Jailbreak that hacktivates (redsn0w/snowbreeze) or put in a SIM card from the official carrier of the phone or a phonebook sim card.

Quote Originally Posted by bellyfrog View Post
    Then you'll have to activate the phone, either use a Jailbreak that hacktivates (redsn0w/snowbreeze) or put in a SIM card from the official carrier of the phone or a phonebook sim card.
    Redsnow can't do 3GS and snowbreeze needs to be JB on 3.1.2 before you can use that (and only old bootrom only - need to check it).

If you don't have SHSH for 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 then you won't be able to hacktivate, you will need to find out the original carrier and pop one of their sim cards in and connect to itunes to activate.

But of course, it's still only going to be an ipod touch (with a mic).

Ah yeah, I forgot it was a 3GS

Ok, bit of an update.

In my infinite wisdom, I've realised it is in actual fact an iPhone 3G on 3.1.3 bb 5.14.02 (according to TinyUmbrella).

It is stuck in recovery mode (USB cable pointing at itunes logo), and cannot be kicked from this mode via TinyUmbrella.

How can I go about unlocking / jailbreaking this phone into submission and functionality?

Cheers.