Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade to new iPhone but keep payed Cydia apps from old phone

Default Upgrade to new iPhone but keep payed Cydia apps from old phone
    I have a Jailbroken 3GS but I'm considering purchasing a new iPhone 4 (which I will jailbreak asap). My concern is that I've purchased several apps through Cydia which I don't want to pay for again on the new phone. I'm aware that you can use pkgbackup to backup your files and then restore them on your current phone when upgrading the firmware, but will pkgbackup allow you to transfer/restore Cydia apps from an old phone to a new one? Is there some other way to transfer paid cydia apps to a new phone.

I've spent a few hours searching the forums and net for an answer and while I'm sure the answer is out there I couldn't find it.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

If you are asking whether or not you will have to repurchase the apps on the new phone the answer is no. It's very simple, when you jail break the new phone, go into cydia and select a previously purchased app and log in just like you would if you were going to purchase it again. Once you have logged in, Cydia will link the purchases made on your account to that device as well. In fact, for most apps (a few exceptions, iRealSMS, Smartscreen, etc.) they can be installed on multiple devices at the same time.

No transfering is done, you just have to log in using the same account as you did on your 3GS and everything will be available to you (certain apps such as iRealSMS require that you contact the developer to have the app linked to the new device).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

dReAdLoKdEmOn (2012-09-20)

First don't buy the new iPhone yet, there close to coming out with a new model this year that fixes the antenna issue and white just wait a month after the free cases stop that's why the cases are stopping most likely

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I really don't think there's gonna be a new model. That's just asking for all kinds of havoc to occur becuz that's screwing over the people who already have the iP4. You can imagine what kind of angry mob will develop and ask for an exchange of their current model for another. The antenna issue doesn't apply to everyone, it also is fixable with a case which most people would have gotten anyway because we all like to protect our phones. My iP4 doesn't have any antenna issue. Even if it did Apple is gladly replacing devices turned in with such an issue and in most cases, people receive replacements that aren't experiencing it.

Bottom line is, get the iP4 ASAP because it is soooo worth it. A HUGE improvement from the 3G and 3GS.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    If you are asking whether or not you will have to repurchase the apps on the new phone the answer is no. It's very simple, when you jail break the new phone, go into cydia and select a previously purchased app and log in just like you would if you were going to purchase it again. Once you have logged in, Cydia will link the purchases made on your account to that device as well. In fact, for most apps (a few exceptions, iRealSMS, Smartscreen, etc.) they can be installed on multiple devices at the same time.

No transfering is done, you just have to log in using the same account as you did on your 3GS and everything will be available to you (certain apps such as iRealSMS require that you contact the developer to have the app linked to the new device).
    I have a Cydia account but linked to two devices, how do you unlink the one that i am going to sell ? Any suggestion ?
    I noticed after the device is linked, if you do a restore and install the paid apps from Cydia, it will allow you to install because it is reading the serial number of the device. So in other words , if I don't unlink it, the new owner can enjoy the apps that I have paid for.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-17 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks

I've noticed it's a rather temperamental ability of Cydia. I've had restores that don't link it at all and then I've had ones that showed everything linked right away. Good question.

Thanks for the reply, and yes that's pretty much what I was asking. I should have realized that simply logging in would make it a non issue.

As for purchasing the new phone ... I agree with Anniex. I don't see them releasing the new phone. Having said that, I'm sure they will hold a press conference and announce a different phone as soon as I purchase one

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah it'd be a kick in the face. I really wanted a white one but being I skipped upgrading when the 3Gs came out, I couldn't wait anymore haha. Luckily I don't have the antenna issue and am very satisfied anyhow. As long as if they miraculously release another iPhone this year it's not largely different than mine. I didn't upgrade so I could have another "not the newest thing" phone.

That is not 100% true about not having to purchase apps again. Most are linked to ur account if u paid through cydia, but some apps require payment from the app itself (like insomnia, I have a thread on that actually) and will have to be bought again. It depends on how u paid.

Thanks

I had the same questions when i upgraded while back. The transition from my 3Gs was seamless and easy. DO IT! Its an epic phone dude!
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    That is not 100% true about not having to purchase apps again. Most are linked to ur account if u paid through cydia, but some apps require payment from the app itself (like insomnia, I have a thread on that actually) and will have to be bought again. It depends on how u paid.
    Obviously only read half of my post.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

dReAdLoKdEmOn (2012-09-20)

Reading is for nerds, lol.

I have iphone 3gs having ios 4.0.2 in it . Can anyone please tell me how to jailbreak 4.0.2 in windows plzzz......... [email protected]

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You cannn't unless you downgradeee. You need SHSHs to do thattt. Sorry, I'm not normally mean. I'm just thinking this is completely irrelevant to the thread topic. Perhaps you'd try a Google or MMi search? Or perhaps you'd create your own thread regarding your concerns?

How do I delete this post?
    Last edited by korin125; 2010-09-26 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    Obviously only read half of my post.
    In your post you said some apps require you to contact the developer to link to a new device.
    What I'm saying is that some apps can NOT be linked to a new device because either the developer doesn't allow it, or just doesn't respond to your emails. They just have to be purchased again. Some apps even require another payment after a restore/update.

When you log in in the new iPhone and installed it again, what happens to the old iPhone apps, they get disable or deleted?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

No , the old iphone can still install all the apps you paid for.
    When you have a new iphone, you log in to gmail account, it will ask you if you want to link this device, and you say Yes, then both the phones will be able to install all the apps that you paid for.
    If you purchase a new app on the new iphone, the old phone which is still linked can also install the new apps you bought.
    Linking an account to multiple device is easy but what if i sell the old iphone, I cannot unlink it, in other words, the new owner of the old iphone can enjoy whatever apps I buy and vice versa.
    I don't want someone using my paid apps, i don't really know how to unlink it.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Danny03787 (2010-09-27), marks370Z (2010-10-10)

Thanks for the help bro. I think that if you sell it you cab restore it and jailbreak it again. That might unlinked, what you think?

Thanks for the help bro. I think that if you sell it you can restore it and jailbreak it again. That might unlinked, what you think?
    Last edited by Danny03787; 2010-09-27 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by shanejoe View Post
    First don't buy the new iPhone yet, there close to coming out with a new model this year that fixes the antenna issue and white just wait a month after the free cases stop that's why the cases are stopping most likely
    Thanks for the information. I have hundreds of dollars for apps in cydia and iTunes. I did hold out for a white one and glad I did. I have a iPhone g3s JB. Its been painful, but the buzz is Version will have the fixed iPhone 4 in Jan. 2011. My AT&T contract is up 10-19-10. I can walk away no penalty. Nice to have a choice! Also a unlock my be cheaper for service in the next few months with two compines fighting for service. I called BBuy and apple store last night both had alot of iPhone 4 16 and 32 gb. in stock. Even with the new jailbreaks???

Thanks again Mark