Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just bought a new iPhone 4, but it's 4.1.. Can I downgrade?

Default Just bought a new iPhone 4, but it's 4.1.. Can I downgrade?
    I was looking around and searched a bit and couldn't find anything about someone who bought the new one that already has the 4.1 with it installed when bought. My question is there a way around this and being able to downgrade from 4.1 to 4.0.1?

Thanks in advance guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Nope sorry, you cannot downgrade without SHSH which you wouldn't have since it is new.

Sorry to say that you can't downgrade and can't jailbreak your phone at the moment.but we all are waiting for a new mega jailbreak which is expected to arrive soon.

Basically the answer is no. But some people have found that Cydia has older SHSH saved even though they never saved any. I'm not sure anybody knows why. Can't hurt to check - download TU. Oh and save 4.1 SHSH now, in case you accidentally upgrade to 4.2 when it comes out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NHL Fever For This Useful Post:

starfuryt550 (2010-09-17)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

can a mod please make a sticky in the main forum about not being able to downgrade a new iphone 4 or a new iphone 3gs?????????????
    Last edited by drog92; 2010-09-17 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon7034 View Post
    can a mod please make a sticky in the main forum about not being able to downgrade a new iphone 4 or a new iphone 3gs?????????????
    but that really depends on what firmware is on it not just a new phone, there are some new phones with older firmware still.

Quote Originally Posted by fc97accord View Post
    but that really depends on what firmware is on it not just a new phone, there are some new phones with older firmware still.
    yup, I heard about that. Thanks about the help guys, hopefully the new releases comes out soon.

Thanks

So many new iPhone owners, and most of them are new to forums as well. It isn't THEIR fault, but the mods COULD put a sticky up top that says SEARCH the forums before you ask.

We have 10 or more new threads a day asking the same question.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
    So many new iPhone owners, and most of them are new to forums as well. It isn't THEIR fault, but the mods COULD put a sticky up top that says SEARCH the forums before you ask.

i mean im not tying to be mean to the OP, but i cant just go through and put that on many different threads..... and it is stupid to make its own thread in a jailbreak forum

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

We could just ignore the repeat questions which would then force them to do a search, lol just kidding.

Actually when I first came to MMi I didn't read stickies nor forum rules (come to think of it I still don't haha) but I got by and learned quick. I also by common sense did a search first before asking a question since I'd rather have an immediate answer to what I wanna know than wait for 1) someone to answer me or 2) someone to tell me to search first.

Edit: I've created an unofficial and a tad unorganized guide on which phones and iPods are able to be jailbroken and unlocked. It just didn't make it to the sticky/guides section cuz I haven't had time to make it more official and good looking. It was a little bit back so it's not been updated for 4.1 but that's basically the same as being on 4.0.2 anyway. Perhaps if I cleaned up my post a bit it'll actually go into the sticky section.

But for now, here it is:

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/726...breakable.html

Only missing info on the post is being on 4.1 upgrades the baseband rendering all phones except 2G not unlockable.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-09-18 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post

true..

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/729...sh-thread.html

Just did a new post explaining some of these things. This together with Anniex423 post should be most of the info a new person needs.