Results 1 to 13 of 13

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Advice on proper procedure.

  1. #1
    Default Advice on proper procedure.
    Hi,
    right now I have a jail broken and unlocked iphone that has had issues of constant crashing, suddenly reboots and loops several times in the apple screen with occasional white screen lockups.

    I always manage to reboot it after trying continuously again and again, until it starts back up, but if I try to sync allot of info with itunes it will lock up after 10 minutes and force me to boot it again..

    I want to try and restore, unlock and jb everything back up again and maybe fix this issues.
    I need advice on the proper way to safely restore my iPhone to iOS 4.0 or the most stable iOS version for that matter.
    I know there are allot of guides and this is not my first time unlocking my iphone but I suspect that my previous Jailbreak from 3.1.3 (i think) to 4.0 did not go well, and I have been restoring with custom firmware form pwnage but it keeps giving me allot of issues..

    What is the best and safest procedure out there to accomplish this??
    and should i stay at 4.0??
    I have a PC and a Mac..

    my SPECS.
    iPhone 3GS model MB717LL
    iOS 4.0 (8A293)
    Modem Firmware 05.12.01
    iBoot 359.4

    THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP

  2. #2
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    If you don't like Pwnage tools, then you can restore to stock 4.0 or 4.0.1 ipsw.
    Since you have jailbroken for awhile, you should have all the shsh blogs.

    If you are using Vista/Win7, run Notepad as Admin and open up hosts file located here : C windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
    Add this line:
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    Save it and reboots your pc
    Put your iphone into Recovery mode
    Do the Shift + Restore to 4.0 or 4.0.1 ipsw
    If successful, put your official sim card to activate
    Then do the jailbreakme 2.0 from Safari on your Iphone.
    Unlock again with Ultrasn0w.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

    Burner>> (2010-09-17)

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    If you don't like Pwnage tools, then you can restore to stock 4.0 or 4.0.1 ipsw.
    Since you have jailbroken for awhile, you should have all the shsh blogs.

    If you are using Vista/Win7, run Notepad as Admin and open up hosts file located here : C windowsSystem32Driversetchosts
    Add this line:
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    Save it and reboots your pc
    Put your iphone into Recovery mode
    Do the Shift + Restore to 4.0 or 4.0.1 ipsw
    If successful, put your official sim card to activate
    Then do the jailbreakme 2.0 from Safari on your Iphone.
    Unlock again with Ultrasn0w.

    Thanks for the reply,
    however I don't have a official sim card as the phone was purchased unlocked in 3.1.3, that why I was upgrading with Pwnage.
    Is there a way around activation without AT&T sim?

    My SIM is from TELCEL and it was purchased with my PREVIOUS iPhone 3GS
    Last edited by Burner>>; 2010-09-16 at 10:18 PM.

  5. #4
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Then you should stick to Pwnage tools or Snowbreeze, because Custom firmware can hactivate and jailbreak at the same time.
    I use custom firmware too.

  6. #5
    Ok..
    so now after going trough hell and back I managed to get my 3GS to load OEM 4.0 ipsw,
    im now sitting with a locked phone.
    I have been struggling to get it to load custom ipsw from pwnage in mac and in windows...

    In the past my first jailbreak and unlock was with a guide I found here back before pwnage for 4.0 was released and trough some elaborate mods in some files I upgraded and unlocked from 3.1.3 to 4.0 with ultrasnow (cant find that guide now)... it was risky but everything worked ok for some time.

    then had errors in the OS because I installed buggy Apps and managed to restore with pwnage about a month ago... and this time I cant seem to get the custom ipsw I used that time (or a new one as a matter of fact) to load successfully in any of the 3 plataforms ive used.
    I dont know if it is luck but I managed to load

    weird thing tho, if I try to restore via Mac itunes gives me all type of errors 1604 and so..
    I went a couple of weeks ago and restored to my 4.0 original ipsw in my PC at home..and after that I could not get it to accept succesfully pwned 4.0 (on PC or Mac)...
    so I installed on my Parallels VM in my MAC iTunes 10 and got lucky installing 4.0 then tried to restore to custom ipsw gave me arros, so after trying the whole weekend I got it to restore to 4.0 from Apple..

    So basically Im afraid to install a custom ipsw because it will hang halfway down the restore or give me an error while loading the firmware..


    Help and advice is much appreciated..??

    on another note!!
    Help me get something straight...
    as I am right now with my 3GS in 4.0...
    in order to unlock, do i have to go back to 3.1.3/2 and unlock then with pawnage upgrade to a custom ipsw, to 4.0 again and use ultrasnow??

    or can I create a custom ipsw while being in a locked 4.0 and restore to that same version again??
    if my SHSH are 4.0, im stuck right?
    Last edited by Burner>>; 2010-09-21 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Burner>> View Post
    Ok..
    so now after going trough hell and back I managed to get my 3GS to load OEM 4.0 ipsw,
    im now sitting with a locked phone.
    I have been struggling to get it to load custom ipsw from pwnage in mac and in windows...

    In the past my first jailbreak and unlock was with a guide I found here back before pwnage for 4.0 was released and trough some elaborate mods in some files I upgraded and unlocked from 3.1.3 to 4.0 with ultrasnow (cant find that guide now)... it was risky but everything worked ok for some time.

    then had errors in the OS because I installed buggy Apps and managed to restore with pwnage about a month ago... and this time I cant seem to get the custom ipsw I used that time (or a new one as a matter of fact) to load successfully in any of the 3 plataforms ive used.
    I dont know if it is luck but I managed to load

    weird thing tho, if I try to restore via Mac itunes gives me all type of errors 1604 and so..
    I went a couple of weeks ago and restored to my 4.0 original ipsw in my PC at home..and after that I could not get it to accept succesfully pwned 4.0 (on PC or Mac)...
    so I installed on my Parallels VM in my MAC iTunes 10 and got lucky installing 4.0 then tried to restore to custom ipsw gave me arros, so after trying the whole weekend I got it to restore to 4.0 from Apple..

    So basically Im afraid to install a custom ipsw because it will hang halfway down the restore or give me an error while loading the firmware..


    Help and advice is much appreciated..??

    on another note!!
    Help me get something straight...
    as I am right now with my 3GS in 4.0...
    in order to unlock, do i have to go back to 3.1.3/2 and unlock then with pawnage upgrade to a custom ipsw, to 4.0 again and use ultrasnow??

    or can I create a custom ipsw while being in a locked 4.0 and restore to that same version again??
    if my SHSH are 4.0, im stuck right?
    When you say it's locked you mean no signal because you need it unlocked right?
    can get to the home screen?
    If so get on a wifi network on the iphone and goto jailbreakme.com
    This jailbreak is for 4.0 and 4.0.1 then with wifi use ultraslow in

    If NO then find someone with an iPhone on AT&T and jailbreak/unlock it that way then trade back sims

    please thank me if I helped

  8. #7
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Burner, you just screwed it by restoring to official 4.0, why did you do that? There are certain steps to take in order to maintain your Iphone to accept custom firmware. At the moment, there is no jailbreak at 4.0 to make it compatible to use custom firmware. You don't have the official sim card to activate, jailbreakme.com is useless to you.
    If you want to be able to use custom firmware again, this is what you have to do : To make long story short,
    Downgrade to 3.1.2 and jailbreak with Redsn0w or Blackra1n. After the jailbreak, put your iphone into recovery and restore to custom firmware of IOS 4.0

    Edit : If you don't have 3.1.2 shsh blogs , you are doomed for now. Downgrading to stock firmware is not going to be easy, good luck.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-21 at 08:29 PM.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Burner, you just screwed it by restoring to official 4.0, why did you do that? There are certain steps to take in order to maintain your Iphone to accept custom firmware. At the moment, there is no jailbreak at 4.0 to make it compatible to use custom firmware. You don't have the official sim card to activate, jailbreakme.com is useless to you.
    If you want to be able to use custom firmware again, this is what you have to do : To make long story short,
    Downgrade to 3.1.2 and jailbreak with Redsn0w or Blackra1n. After the jailbreak, put your iphone into recovery and restore to custom firmware.

    I was afraid of that!!!stupid me, as I thought that since 4.0 OEM would be a easy jump to 4.0 custom ipsw.
    but anyways..I have my old NOKIA caveman era pone as a standby...
    So, by the looks of it since I dont hanve my 3.1.3 SHSH stored (only 4.0) there is no way to downgrade to 3.1.3, right??
    Last edited by Burner>>; 2010-09-21 at 08:34 PM.

  10. #9
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Do you remember on the front page of Cydia, what shsh was shown there.

    To be able to use custom firmware is so wonderful, tomorrow, when Snowbreeze 2.0 is released, I can jailbreak at 4.1.

    Look at this : http://modmyi.com/forums/general/729...e-4-0-1-a.html ( Stevex70 has successfully restored to custom firmware )
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-21 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Do you remember on the front page of Cydia, what shsh was shown there.

    To be able to use custom firmware is so wonderful, tomorrow, when Snowbreeze 2.0 is released, I can jailbreak at 4.1.
    I recall on cydia 4.0/4.1 and tinyumbrella confirms the EXACT firmware is SAFE to restore to.
    so I guess this will put me on hold for a bit...
    if im at 4.0 locked and I jump to 4.1 to unlock with snowbreeze will it be possible??

  12. #11
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    No, don't ever jump to stock 4.1, you will regret forever.
    This is what you have to do, buy a valid sim card. Put it in to trigger your official 4.0 into Springboard and then use jailbreakme.com.
    The new SnowBreeze 2.0 is apparently compatible with jailbreakme.com, if that is the case, then you can restore to Snowbreeze ipsw. I have yet to comfirm, you can PM me later when it comes out.

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    No, don't ever jump to stock 4.1, you will regret forever.
    This is what you have to do, buy a valid sim card. Put it in to trigger your official 4.0 into Springboard and then use jailbreakme.com.
    The new SnowBreeze 2.0 is apparently compatible with jailbreakme.com, if that is the case, then you can restore to Snowbreeze ipsw. I have yet to comfirm, you can PM me later when it comes out.
    I read about that Phonebook SIM trick, mabye that will work, too
    will drive to radio shack later and will try it later..
    Thanks for the HELP you really untangled my head..
    Last edited by Burner>>; 2010-09-21 at 09:52 PM.

  14. #13
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    If after triggering with Ph book sim card & jailbreaking, If you have problems with sim detection, you have to install Lockdown Patch from Cydia.pushfix.info which you will have to add this source to Cydia.
    Don't worry, I will help you out.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

    Burner>> (2010-09-22)

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •