Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can you figure out what went wrong with this JB?

Question Can you figure out what went wrong with this JB?
    Hi all, hate to the be the guy that joins just to ask for help, but I've gone through a number pages in the forum now and I can't find something quite like this. Any help or comments are appreciated.

I used jailbreak me on iPhone 3GS running 4.0.1. Handset is a warranty replacement direct from a UK Apple Store, for the O2 network.

I decided I wanted to remove the JB - I wasn't really taking advantage of it, and wanted to get onto 4.1.

I initiated the restore process in itunes (after upgrading to iTunes 10, on Windows), which downloaded and installed 4.1 at the same time as restoring the phone - this seemed to go successfully. However, once the process completed, iTunes said that the SIM card was unsupported, and I should enter my original carrier's SIM or get a valid sim (etc).

Now, this IS the original SIM card that was working just fine before I did the restore. I've done two more restores from DFU since from different windows computers, and it has made no difference. Tried a SIM swap with O2, and that didn't work either.

So it seems like the iPhone has locked itself during this process. My only guess is that could be something to do with the way the warranty replacement was activated at the Apple store? A bit of a stretch.

I called Apple Support since it was still in warranty, and there was a problem there too - it's actually the second warranty replacement handset I've received, and the Apple records are mixed up - they have an old serial and IMEI registered. Could that have something to do with it (clearly I know very little about the activation process)!

Thanks for any ideas or comments. If I can't figure it out, I'll take my chances sending it to Apple Care and hopefully receive a replacement handset (assuming the restore process wiped all trace of my JB!)

If you are using the authorized SIM card and you bought it from Apple, then go to the Apple store, hand them the device, and say 'fix it'.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NHL Fever For This Useful Post:

Marv84 (2010-09-16)

Is your simcard pin locked? If yes then put it in another phone and remove the pin-lock. The simcard has to be unlocked!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to michnet For This Useful Post:

Marv84 (2010-09-16)

Thanks both. SIM card isn't locked, so that's not it. I had time to go into an Apple store today, and they've just replaced it for me - so whatever the problem was (they didn't know) it doesn't matter, brand new handset for me!

This is my third (free) replacement, so 4th handset. Do you think if I keep this up they'll run out of 3GSs and be forced to give me an iPhone 4?

iPhone? More like MyPhone wrecked77's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha. You should try it!