Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: So confused

Default So confused
    Okay, so I had to jack with phone today & ended up going to a reallly old restore (Cydia has my apps).

It now says my version is 3.0 (7A341), but my firmware is 05.12.01.

Can anyone tell me how to JB this? I've tried all rain/snow/JBme, but I'm getting nowhere.

Thanks

I should add that is a 3g Iphone.
    Last edited by tahoe22; 2010-09-15 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Did you try redsn0w 0.7?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

tahoe22 (2010-09-15)

I just ran jailbreakme last week on a freinds phone that was restored to 3.1.3 with no problems. Also did on the 3G network.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sooprtrukr For This Useful Post:

tahoe22 (2010-09-15)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Jailbreakme won't work on 3.0. It's too old. Try upgrading to 3.1.2 or doing as someone else said, Redsn0w it where it is now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

tahoe22 (2010-09-15)

Okay, redsnOw 0.8 was able to do it (I could swear that 0.9 would not). Now I just restore it from the backup that I did yesterday, but Itunes isn't seeing that particular backup set, and is only looking for ipsw files, while this backup set contains mddata and mdinfo files. Is there a trick to converting these to ipsw files?

Thanks for all the help

Yes, just rename the zip file to ipsw extension

10. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

tahoe22 (2010-09-15)

Are you saying to zip up all the mddata & mdinfo files & then change the type to ipsw?

Hang on. Are you trying to do a custom restore to 4.0? Did you download the custom firmware or create it with snowbreeze/pwnagetool?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

tahoe22 (2010-09-15)

I'm just trying to restore it back to where I started from yesterday (from the backup that I made in Itunes before I started messing around). That is the backup set that I'm referring to.
    Last edited by tahoe22; 2010-09-15 at 09:07 PM.

Ok, well if you've gone a long way back with your firmware your backup might not be compatible.

You must be hitting the restore button in iTunes? That is to restore the firmware, not to do a restore from backup.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-09-15 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

16. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

tahoe22 (2010-09-15)

Okay, I think I get that now. I'm at 3.1.2 now and was at 3.1.3 yesterday, but I think it's being a little buggy. Itunes doesn't want to sync apps or transfer purchases over to it, so I'd like to get it back to 3.1.3. What has me confused is that when you do a backup, it creates folders full of mddata/mdinfo files, but to do a (shift)/restore, it's looking for the firmware ipsw file.

After you do a restore (of the firmware to 3.1.3) for example then iTunes should automatically ask you if you want to restore your phone from backup after the firmware restore is done. Ipsw files are firmware.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

tahoe22 (2010-09-15)

Don't use iTunes 10, I'm guessing that's the problem with the apps syncing and other things, go download iTunes 9, iTunes 10 is essentially made for 4.0 and up

No, I'm on iTunes 9.2.1.5

So download stock 3.1.3 firmware from apple and hold shift + click restore. Select your 3.1.3 file and let iTunes do it's work.

Once it's restored, iTunes will give you the option to restore the phone from backup automatically (or setup as a new phone). Select the correct backup and let it restore.

Jailbreak with spirit
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-09-16 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost