Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will 'Shatter Jailkbreak' J/B the iPhone 2G?

Default Will 'Shatter Jailkbreak' J/B the iPhone 2G?
    Will 'Shatter Jailbreak' j/b the iphone 2G to get iOS4 working on it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by koolx View Post
    Will 'Shatter Jailbreak' j/b the iphone 2G to get iOS4 working on it?

Short answer: nope. No 4.x for the 2G from SHAtter.

Less short answer: the iPhone 2G's problem with iOS 4.0 isn't the jailbreak (in fact that's the least of all concerns), but rather, we don't have a base 4.0 .IPSW written for the 2G.

Though the 3G is close (same processor, same kernel in iOS 3.x so the kernel can probably be ported over from 4.x, device tree for the 3G doesn't change from 3.x to 4.x so the 2G's can probably be reused from 3.x, etc.), it's not the same device; there are a few key differences.

Also unfortunately, the only people who really could code this IPSW from scratch are all Apple employees, and for obvious reasons they're not going to help us. I know of a project trying to cobble together and port the 3G version of the 4.0 OS to the 2G, but I've not heard anything from them in months and therefore assume they're stagnant at best and abandoned the effort at worst.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

koolx (2010-09-16)

Quote Originally Posted by orbyorb View Post
    Short answer: nope. No 4.x for the 2G from SHAtter.

Less short answer: the iPhone 2G's problem with iOS 4.0 isn't the jailbreak (in fact that's the least of all concerns), but rather, we don't have a base 4.0 .IPSW written for the 2G.

Though the 3G is close (same processor, same kernel in iOS 3.x so the kernel can probably be ported over from 4.x, device tree for the 3G doesn't change from 3.x to 4.x so the 2G's can probably be reused from 3.x, etc.), it's not the same device; there are a few key differences.

Also unfortunately, the only people who really could code this IPSW from scratch are all Apple employees, and for obvious reasons they're not going to help us. I know of a project trying to cobble together and port the 3G version of the 4.0 OS to the 2G, but I've not heard anything from them in months and therefore assume they're stagnant at best and abandoned the effort at worst.
    I still wish there were an iOS4 for the 2G. Thanks man.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Lol, shatter on 2G, there is no such iOS 4.0 for 1st gen iphone, you should get an iPhone 4 if you want challenge

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Lol, shatter on 2G, there is no such iOS 4.0 for 1st gen iphone, you should get an iPhone 4 if you want challenge
    yeah, but i'm not an at&t customer. i got my iphone 2g thru ebay and its unlocked with tnobile. i dont think at&t will sell their iphones to a non-at&t "customer".

Thanks

All 2G iphones can be jailbroken and unlocked for life. The reason I am saying is the last final firmware for 2G is OS 3.1.3 and can be jailkroken and unlocked

I think they will though, if they still have 2G in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    All 2G iphones can be jailbroken and unlocked for life. The reason I am saying is the last final firmware for 2G is OS 3.1.3 and can be jailkroken and unlocked

I think they will though, if they still have 2G in stock.
    I dont understand you.. you said that at&t still have 2gs in stock.. why would i get another 2G if the 4g is out?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

I highly doubt AT&T has any iphone 2G in stock. They might have some 3G in stock but that wouldn't help you as you are not with them. Not sure what he is talking about either.

Thanks

A year ago, one of my canadian's friend went over to Seattle & bought a 2G iphone, I guess there is no more 2G available now. i am not asking you to buy a 2g, don't get me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by koolx View Post
    i dont understand you.. You said that at&t still have 2gs in stock.. Why would i get another 2g if the 4g is out?

-iphone-photo.jpg

Thanks

why do u still want a 2g, it is already declared obselete. Go for 3GS or 4g unless u want to add it to ur antique collection

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    why do u still want a 2g, it is already declared obselete. Go for 3GS or 4g unless u want to add it to ur antique collection
    Brutally honest.

...I like it.

--Unless, OP, you're suggesting with your picture you want an iPhone on T-Mobile (USA, probably the only country that doesn't have it). In that case, purchase a factory-unlocked unit, or eBay. Also worth noting that there are or soon will be another wave of unlocks for the iPhone.