Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best jailbreaking software for iPhone 3G w/3.1.3 OS?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Best jailbreaking software for iPhone 3G w/3.1.3 OS?
    I have an iPhone 3G with 3.1.3 OS and I wanted to unlock the phone to use on T-Mobile's network. I was told that ultrasn0w is the best unlocking software to use, however, I didn't realize I had to jailbreak the phone first. I decided to use sn0wbreeze as the jailbreaking software and I cannot successfully complete it. I've gotten as far as creating the custom firmware that sn0wbreeze "cooks" for you, but it fails when trying to restore it with the custom software. So I do some more researching and it says to download and run iREB. So I do this as well and when I click on the iPhone 3G button, nothing happens although it says I should get a white screen on the phone.

So obviously sn0wbreeze is not going to work, so what's the best jailbreaking software or a better one in this case?

i think spirit works

Have fun

Spirit

Spirit or jailbreakme.

jailbreakme is best then run ultrasnow

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm no expert by any means, but I've never heard of either one. I'm used to hearing names like redsn0w, blacksn0w, sn0wbreeze, etc.

Will either one of those allow me to have Cydia so that I can install ultrasn0w to unlock?

Thanks

redsn0w to jailbreak (you will need a 3.1.2 ipsw to point it at) and then ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock, here is a guide to use

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3G on OS 3.1.2, 3.1.3 Using RedSn0w (Windows)

Green Apple
    Thanks

So I should be using 0.9.2 and not 0.9.4? I used 3.1.2 ipsw although the phone has 3.1.3, but again, more than 5 minutes had gone by after waiting for a reboot and nothing happens.

If I were asked, I would say 0.9.4, I'm pretty sure. you sohuld be able to look up exactly what each versions do.

Green Apple
    Thanks

redsn0w 0.9.4 is not working for me. It's been a good 20 minutes now that it's been stuck at "Waiting for reboot".

sn0wbreeze didn't work for me either.

I wonder why I'm having such a hard time getting this phone jailbroken.

Jailbreakme shows to support 4.1, is this true or is it 4.0.1? Either way, does that mean I can upgrade to 4.0.1 or 4.1 instead of 3.1.3?
    Last edited by maxvette; 2010-09-14 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Jailbreakme 2.0 can jailbreak 3.1.3, 4.0, and 4.0.1 , not 4.1

Every time I've used redsn0w I always had problems. I always had to boot into safe mode for it to work.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well jailbreakme was extremely easy to do and it actually worked without any hiccups. So should I update to 4.0.1 and then use jailbreak me so that I can get all the new features that 4.0.1 has over 3.1.3?

1) Only if you have the SHSHes
    2) Only if you want your iPhone to be slow

4.1 fixes slowness problems, but no jailbreak yet

Green Apple
    Thanks

What are SHSH's?

Why does a newer update slow the phone down?

If jailbreakme jailbreaks 4.0.1 why would I need to do anything special?

The 3g is too slow on 4.0/4.0.1 (for most people). This has been fixed in 4.1.

If you are currently on 4.0/4.0.1/3.1.2/3.1.3 you can jailbreak with jailbreakme.