Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A challenge with my iphone 3G...

Default A challenge with my iphone 3G...
    Hello,

Iphone 3G
    Macbookpro last generation with 10.6.4.

I herited from work and old iphone 3G which was jaibreak (I live in Belgium) : they don't know what was the IOS number...
    To get a fresh start, yesterday night I reinitialized my iphone and installed the last firmware that my Itunes 10 proposed me : I suppose the 4.1

Then, when it started, I've put my Sim card (Mobistar) and the phantomatic message appeared : your SIM card doesn't allow you to use the Iphone (something like that).

I went on loads of forum and discovered that I had to "jailbreak" my iphone to unlock it and for it to work. But I also read that if I had installed the 4.1 version of the iphone firmware : it's the end for me...

So, at last, my question : can I downgrade to firmware 4.0 ?
    If so, where is the best tutorial to unlock my sim card and finally use my iphone...

Thanks ever so much for any of your help

Brian May (frensh and welsh
    Belgium

By upgrading your phone your phone to 4.1 you have updated your BaseBand which can't be downgraded (apart from on a very few early phones) so you can not unlock now.
    Are you sure it updated to 4.1 not 4.02 (it depends what time you did it yesterday) - If it was 4.02 (check the ipsw downloaded to your computer) then you are still OK.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Unfortunately, it's the 4.1 : in my Iphone software updates I've got this file : iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw

Grrrrrrrr. I'll have to wait a jailbreak for this b....y 4.1

Thanks anyway for the quick answer.

Brian

The Jailbreak shouldn't be to long in coming, but a jailbreak is not the same as an unlock (you need a JB to unlock but the unlock is a separate program) and I fear it might be some time before the new BB will be unlocked.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Patience, patience...

when you say "apart from a few early phones" (in your first answer) do you know wich ones ?

Brian

If you take out your SIM card holder the serial number is etched into it. The 3rd digit is the year and the 4th and 5th digit are the week.
    If it is 828 or earlier then you are OK - but that was the week the 3G was released, Apple blocked the exploit within a week so the vast majority of phones can not have the BB downgraded.

My serial n is 888241L6Y7K : so I guess I'm not one of the lucky ones...

You're sure it's 824? That is very early!
    You can double check by downloading TinyUmbrella from The Firmware Umbrella
    When you run it it should display your BB in read and mine shows 05.14.02 - 5.9_M3S2

If yours show 05.14.02 - 5.8_xxxx

It is the 5.8 important bit.

If it does show 5.8 you are good to go - let me know.

It indicates me : Baseband: 05.14.02 - 5.8_M3S2

You are a lucky man indeed!

While you have Tiny Umbrella get it to save your blobs for 4.02 (just click the button to save SHSH)

Then:

1) Download FW 3.13 from Firmware - The iPhone Wiki

2) In iTunes press shift (if a PC) or Option (if a Mac) and restore in iTunes. This should allow you to select the ipsw to restore to - select the 3.13 ipsw you downloaded.

3) Once the phone has restored to 3.13 download RedSn0w from redsn0w 0.9.2 [iPhone Dev Team] and run it.

4) Now your phone is Jailbroken look for fuzzyband in cydia and run it. This will downgrade your BB

5) Add the repo repo666.UltraSn0w.com and install UltraSn0w

6) Reboot and enjoy your unlocked phone

You've got it !

I let you know about the result. Thanks anyway very much for your help.

Brian

A small question : do I have to leave my Sim card in the iphone during all these operations ?

A small question : do I have to leave my Sim card in the iphone during all these operations ?
    Last edited by bmay; 2010-09-09 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yes, you don't have to but it';s best if you do.

Gosh, what a pain in the *** : impossible to tell itunes to go and get the fw I want : he always goes to apple and propose me 4.1 !
    I tried with PwnageTool but he proposes me to choose between an iphone 3Gs or 2G ! So when I take a 3Gs, of course the firmware doesn't match anymore !
    Argggggllllll !

I think I didn't download the good firmware... I took the 3.1.3 for iphone 3G but I've got an Iphone (if I look at the back of the Iphone, it's only marked Iphone 16 GB). I'm downloading the new fw...
    Last edited by bmay; 2010-09-09 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

When you click restore in iTunes make sure you are holding down the shift/option key.

What a stupide twat I am.... it works. But wich fw you think I should take : iphone 3G or Iphone ?

You have an iPhone 3G

The restore process doesn't go until the end : I've got a -1015 error message. Apparently that means there is a problem going back to a precedent fw... I don't know what to do next. I've got on the screen the image with USB cable going towards the Itunes icone.
    Any idea ?

Put your phone in DFU mode and restore

yes, I already did that : (the 5 s home/10 s home and power/30s home) but same problem. Arriving at the restore internal programme of the iphone, I get the 1015 error. I tried on an old powerbook G4 10.4.11 and Itunes 8.2.1
    My apple reseller, advise me a guy that fixes every iphone for 20 euros... I think I'll give up and ask him to do it : I phoned him and apparently he has other software to restore iphone, more efficient it seems.

It's a pity, I like solving problems !

Anyway, thanks for your help and see you on the forum !

Do you think that the fact my boss bought this iphone in the USA, had to buy a special adaptator from asia (he had put in the iphone taking off the screen)to make work his belgium sim card could be the reason of the problem ?

This Iphone worked perfectly until yesterday though...
    Last edited by bmay; 2010-09-09 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Error 1015 is normal. If the restore process got to that point it's a good thing. All you have to do at that point is open tiny umbrella and click the kick device out of recovery button.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

bmay (2010-09-10)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast