Results 1 to 9 of 9

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Update 4.1 - does baseband matter?

  1. #1
    Default Update 4.1 - does baseband matter?
    Using Tiny Umbrella, I have updated to 4.1 firmware but my baseband remains 01.59.00. Tiny Umbrella blog suggests this is a good thing. Why is that?

  2. #2
    Because we can't unlock the new baseband, only the old version. This means if you depend on an unlock to use your phone you need to stat at the old BB. It also helps the resell value when selling an unlocked iPhone as opposed to a carrier locked one.


    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

  3. #3
    does the baseband update offer any improvements or is it just to block the unlock?

  4. #4
    Retired Moderator j3st3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 405 Times in 395 Posts

    it's pretty much just to kill ultrasn0w

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Because we can't unlock the new baseband, only the old version. This means if you depend on an unlock to use your phone you need to stat at the old BB. It also helps the resell value when selling an unlocked iPhone as opposed to a carrier locked one.


    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    it's pretty much just to kill ultrasn0w
    So does this mean that once a JB comes out for 4.1 and I use it, I can then use ultrasnow in the usual way to unlock?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by NHL Fever View Post
    So does this mean that once a JB comes out for 4.1 and I use it, I can then use ultrasnow in the usual way to unlock?
    baseband and jailbreak has nothing to do with each other.

    if you install the new firmware ios4.1, then it will update your baseband unless you follow this guide
    Update iPhone 4 on iOS 4.1 Without Upgrading 1.59.00 Baseband to 2.10.4 [Guide] | Redmond Pie

    however, when the jailbreak comes out for 4.1, it will probably be like it was with the older pwnagetool/sn0wbreeze, where you build custom firmware, then install a custom/prejailbroken 4.1 that also will not update your baseband. just sit tight and and do not update if youre interested in the jailbreak. wait for the dev team to tell us what to do

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrunked View Post
    baseband and jailbreak has nothing to do with each other.

    if you install the new firmware ios4.1, then it will update your baseband unless you follow this guide
    Update iPhone 4 on iOS 4.1 Without Upgrading 1.59.00 Baseband to 2.10.4 [Guide] | Redmond Pie

    however, when the jailbreak comes out for 4.1, it will probably be like it was with the older pwnagetool/sn0wbreeze, where you build custom firmware, then install a custom/prejailbroken 4.1 that also will not update your baseband. just sit tight and and do not update if youre interested in the jailbreak. wait for the dev team to tell us what to do
    I did update because I was stuck with 4.0.2 anyway (came that way from the store), but kept the old baseband. I used Tiny Umbrella to do so. Is that the custom firmware you're talking about, or do they preserve the baseband by some other means?

  8. #8
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in California
    Posts
    503
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 78 Times in 62 Posts

    That Redmond Pie link just describes the method you've already used with TinyUmbrella, so you're good.

  9. #9
    all past versions of sn0wbreeze and pwnagetool did not update baseband, so they probably wont in the future either. the only problem you may face is not being able to jailbreak version 4.1. the proper procedure may be to jailbreak on 4.02 and then load the custom 4.1 firmware which is how jailbreaking worked from 3.x - 4.x with the 3gs. only time will tell tho

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •