Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Storing Jailbreak data for a firmware upgrade

Default Storing Jailbreak data for a firmware upgrade
    Hi, I have several jailbreak apps such as BiteSMS and gpsPhone that i do not want to lose when i update to iOS4.1 when the newest jailbreak is released, how do i backup all of the jailbreak information on my phone? I believe you can redownload paid apps in cydia but is there any alternative?

Thanks

Pkgbackup from cydia backs up and restores all your cydia packages.

Is there another way of doing it that's free? Also do you know how this works?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have the same question.

Are you talking about the apps themselves or the apps preferences and data? Because there is nit an app out there that does both. Pkgbackup is an excellent cydia app that backs up all of your apps and cydia repos by storing an encrypted list of your apps in your address book embedding in a single contact called pkgbkp*** in your address book (so obviously you will want to make sure you backup your contacts or atleast that one) and when restore or upgrade an rejailbreak all you have to do is redownload pkgbkp app from cydia and the sync your contacts with iTunes or google or mobile me depending on how you sync your address book data and when you open the all it will show a list of all of your apps that were backed up as well as your repos and when you hit restore it will essentially Download all of the apps or just the ones you selected from cydia in one swoop (depending on how many apps you are restoring it may take a little while so make sure you are using wifi rather than 3G)

Again there is not an app that gets the data from cydia apps. You have to do that manually either using ifunbox or equivilant or ssh. Most of your data for cydia apps is in var/mobile/library or user/library for example I am pretty sure bite SMS data is in the user library directory under it's own dir bitesms.

For your phone settings this includes both your system preferences and cydia app preferences (mostly mobilesubstrate) will be in user/library/preferences . You will need to copy of the .plists that you will want to save to your hd. For example bite SMS will be something like com.bitesms.plist. That contains all of your settings for that particular app. Then when you restore or update just copy the ones you saved and dump it into your new directories via ifunbox or ssh. Persoanlly when I am backing up I just copy those two directories and save them and then i just pick and choose which ones I want to restore.

For your AppStore apps download appbackup from cydia that will save all of your data for your AppStore apps.

Hope this helps

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jgrimberg1979 For This Useful Post:

krispykremeking1 (2010-09-08)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks man, you answered every question i had before i even had to ask.