Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading & Jailbreaking to OS4 Over Jailbroken Device?

Default Upgrading & Jailbreaking to OS4 Over Jailbroken Device?
    Hi all,

(Edit: If people aren't interested in bothering with a long reply, just please answer whether or not I need to do anything different for a jailbroken device. If you're super cool, though, it'll be awesome to hear a little more info.)

I have been searching for info on this for hours, and after coming up completely dry, I figured I'd post here in hopes that someone might be able to answer this question.
    I figured it would be an easy question to find information on since so many people have jailbroken devices, but somehow, I was wrong.

I simply want to know if there are any extra steps one must take when upgrading to OS4 over an already jailbroken device. None of the hundreds of tutorials I've come across have even mentioned that scenario, and I have no idea why.

My exact setup is:

iPod Touch 2nd Gen
    Jailbroken with BlackRa1n
    OS Version 3.1.2

Are the steps the same for a non-jailbroken device?
    As in, should I:

1.Upgrade through iTunes to OS4 (is it safe to do so with the version that it may give me? (As in, is the latest version that iTunes would give me jailbreakable? I'm not sure if there's been an update that isn't jailbreakable yet.)

2. Jailbreak using Redsn0w, Pwnage or jailbreakme.com?

Or, do I have to completely restore my iPod Touch, and then proceed with the above steps?

I'm so amazed that I was able to find no information on that, but I am sure someone here (probably most people) knows the answer to this.

I would be extremely grateful for any advice.
    Thanks very much!
    Last edited by Literari; 2010-09-06 at 03:40 AM. Reason: To Add One Thing.

if its a non mc model ipod touch you can upgrade it then download Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5, and you will also need to download firmware 4.0 (google it) then start redsn0w after update and youll have to point it torwards the 4.0 firmware and you can jailbreak

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DevouredDreams For This Useful Post:

Literari (2010-09-08)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You can also restore to a custom firmware from Pwnage tools 4.0.1 or SnowBreeze 1.7 to create iOS 4.0. Make sure you put your ipod into recovery mode before you start restoring. You can grab the ipod 4.0 firmware from here :
    iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Literari (2010-09-07)

Thanks guys, for the advice. Yeow, those are the official firmware files, correct? As in, exactly as they come from Apple, untouched by hacking hands of any sort?

I have read, since I've posted, that it *can* be unsafe to just upgrade over a jailbroken device, and there are precautionary steps one must follow to ensure a safe upgrade (and re-jailbreak). This is what I was wondering about from the beginning, and this will prevent one from getting the dreaded "bootloop".

Here's a link for anyone who's interested. Hope it helps. Took me half a day to find it, so perhaps it'll save someone a lot of frustration.
    If it helps, hit me with some love/thanks or just post here. I'd love to know how many people were interested in this information. It was so hard to come by for me, so I'm very interested.

[ame="http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294917"]_How to safely upgrade to iOS4 when already jailbroken_[/ame]
    Last edited by Literari; 2010-09-06 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Fixed wording

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Do what you think is right and you will be on your own. I wouldn't use that link.

No offense at all, but what you've just said makes very little sense to me... actually, it makes no sense to me at all. Can you explain what you mean by that? I have no idea why or what you mean. Just saying you wouldn't use the link is a bit vague. At least to me it is since I can only read minds when I'm in the same room with you... Ehem.
    Last edited by Literari; 2010-09-06 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Add

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

do a restore, and then restore from a backup..... download a 4.0 that has come from apple "completely untouched"..... youi can get them here on modmyi...... and then use redsn0w and follow the directions just as they say..... but when it asks you to point to the software, point it to a 4.0 no matter what...(even if you are on 4.0.2)..... after you follow the instructions it will jailbreak your device..... for me sometimes, i have to run a second one just because the first one freezes..... but try that and see how it works for you

10. The Following User Says Thank You to drog92 For This Useful Post:

Literari (2010-09-07)

dragon,
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain those steps. I went and grabbed the firmware from this site. I felt much more comfortable getting it from here than some random site, so that enough it cause for thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Literari View Post
    dragon,
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain those steps. I went and grabbed the firmware from this site. I felt much more comfortable getting it from here than some random site, so that enough it cause for thanks.
    Actually, the firmwares from felixbruns.de all come directly form the Apple servers and seem to be updated automatically.

The firmwares available on modmyi seem to be from the Apple servers as well but are links posted by community memebers who could post any link, or upload any file.

That's not to say that I don't trust modmyi or it's community, but I've always got my firmwares from felixbruns.de

13. The Following User Says Thank You to korin125 For This Useful Post:

Literari (2010-09-07)

Cool, thanks very much. I downloaded it from there as well so I will use that one.

1. When I do the restore, does that mean that I will lose all of my music that isn't purchased through iTunes alone? I have a boat load of cds from my library, all converted to mp3 and stuffed onto my iPod. Am I going to have to retransfer all of those, as well as any videos? I know that I'll be restoring from a "backup", but I've noticed in the past that that meant only Applications. I don't use the music sync feature, is that why my music won't be saved?

2. Also, for those who are feeling generous with their time in helping out a poor gal, I wondered what actually happens with Cydia, Categories, SBSettings. Will those have to be reinstalled? As well as any jailbreak apps (such as MPlayer or VLC for iPhone (now called OpenStreamer) or any other jailbreak apps)? Or, are all of those kept in a different folder/location than the App Store Apps?

3. Lastly, why hasn't anyone mentioned jailbreakme.com? Is it just not as popular as using redsn0w, or is it not safe for some reason?

Thanks very much for any help, and for the help given thus far.
    Last edited by Literari; 2010-09-07 at 04:50 AM. Reason: More Info, another question

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i just prefer using redsn0w because i like to have my own picture when my phone boots up..... jailbreakme is fine, i jailbroke my girlfriends ipod with it..... just look on google how to get music off an ipod touch, i have touchcopy...... and yes you will have to download all of the jailbroken stuff again, except for cydia that will come installed when you jailbreak....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to drog92 For This Useful Post:

Literari (2010-09-07)

You, my friend, are a fountain of information. You have my absolute and total gratitude.
    I will ALWAYS use the "THANKS" button for those who offer something truly helpful in my (or other people's) threads. No one appreciates (or needs ) a helping hand more than I.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

anything i can do to help someone out...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to drog92 For This Useful Post:

Literari (2010-09-07)

Argh... I just restored and installed 4.02. Then, I chose the backup file, waited for it to finish, opened up my iPod and NONE of my apps were there..
    Anyone know of any reason why that might have happened?

**Edit: Woohoo!**

For anyone who's interested, or had the same problem at any point:

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but instead of giving up, I went ahead and tried restoring, then restoring from backup all over again and, like magic, it seems to be working this time. I guess I'll see for sure once it's done, but it's not even 25% finished. Last time it took only about a half hour, so it is very likely that it didn't work correctly the first time. My backup must have been altered again...

This time, I went into my mobilesync folder and deleted all but the backup I did today. I had actually backed it up onto another drive to be safe (I always do that, because iTunes has done evil things and deleted my backups a few times... good thing I did), so I put that into my mobilesync folder after deleting everything that was in there, and now it seems to be working. At the rate it's going, it's going to take a night.......
    Last edited by Literari; 2010-09-07 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Hooray, I think it's working now. :)
    I will ALWAYS use the "THANKS" button for those who offer something truly helpful in my (or other people's) threads. No one appreciates (or needs ) a helping hand more than I.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

you might press hold and press shift and restore to go to a different firmware besides 4.0.2 depending on what device you are on

I want to send out a thanks to 'silent six' here because, had I not had what he/she posted about being sure to "point redsn0w to 4.0, no matter which version you're running" (not exact words, but the gist), I would not have figured out that I still could use redsn0w for 4.0.2. That kept running through the back of my mind when I was kicking myself for using 4.02 since jailbreakme.com was not available for that version. Thanks very much for that bit of info which saved me from having to do another restore our of ignorance of the choices I had.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon7034 View Post
    do a restore, and then restore from a backup..... download a 4.0 that has come from apple "completely untouched"..... youi can get them here on modmyi...... and then use redsn0w and follow the directions just as they say..... but when it asks you to point to the software, point it to a 4.0 no matter what...(even if you are on 4.0.2)..... after you follow the instructions it will jailbreak your device..... for me sometimes, i have to run a second one just because the first one freezes..... but try that and see how it works for you
    if it helps, i said that were it is bold.... but have you gotten everything figured out?