Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NEW member. I need help going back to 4.0 or 4.0.1!!!!

Default NEW member. I need help going back to 4.0 or 4.0.1!!!!
    I am on 4.0.2, and need help going back to 4.0.1 or 4.0. I am not a computer wiz, and I have a MacBook so keep that in mind too I guess...

I put my phone in 'DFU' mode or something and downloaded 4.0 but it says that my phone is not eligible for this requested build or something like that. How exactly do I downgrade to either one of those, I need my jailbreak back!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Do you have an iphone 4 or 3GS?
    iphone 4 sorry..I also did the "make my life easier" BS on cydia last time

also reading something about how you need to enter some file into the computer some place that makes itunes talk with cydia instead of apple? how do I do this?
    Last edited by aj949; 2010-09-05 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aj949 View Post
    iphone 4 sorry..I also did the "make my life easier" BS on cydia last time

also reading something about how you need to enter some file into the computer some place that makes itunes talk with cydia instead of apple? how do I do this?

1st, its not BS. What you refer to BS could end up helping you.

If you have your SHSH's saved for 4.0 or 4.0.1 you can use Sauriks method or Tinyumbrella to restore. Google either one.

Quote Originally Posted by CONVBMW View Post
    1st, its not BS. What you refer to BS could end up helping you.

If you have your SHSH's saved for 4.0 or 4.0.1 you can use Sauriks method or Tinyumbrella to restore. Google either one.
    I live in Oc too, south to be exact.. ha ha

anyways I looked up the sauriks method and it wants me to do stuff with /etc/hosts or something like that....but I have no idea how to do this stuff. I am just trying to find an easy step by step method but once they start talking about putting "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" into /etc/hosts I have absolutely no idea what they are referring to.

Good video. fixed the problem I had with not allowing me to edit the text and add the 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com so lets see how far I can get lol
    Last edited by aj949; 2010-09-05 at 02:23 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

If you just want to edit your hosts this is a tool to do it for you automatically 3Gs Downgrade Assistant | iPhone News, Help and Guides

You have to right click on it as choose run as administrator then follow the instructions

just download ipsw. and hit shift restore ( i donno wht it is on a mac though lol ) ill PM u link for download ipsw.

Quote Originally Posted by dtox2008 View Post
    just download ipsw. and hit shift restore ( i donno wht it is on a mac though lol ) ill PM u link for download ipsw.
    I PMed you back. it still won't let me restore ahghhhhhhhhh

If you just want to edit your hosts this is a tool to do it for you automatically 3Gs Downgrade Assistant | iPhone News, Help and Guides

You have to right click on it as choose run as administrator then follow the instructions
    that says it is only for 3gs iphones, but i have an iphone 4. any ideas? I edited the etc host stuff with the thing from sauriks page and it still is telling me that my device 'isn't eligible for the requested build'
    Last edited by aj949; 2010-09-05 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

All that tool does is edit your hosts file for you which you say you have done manually, it works just as well for iphone 4, it just says 3GS because when it was made iPhone 4 wasn't out yet. If you have edited your hosts files correctly to point to Sauriks server and are still getting that error then you don't have SHSH for 4.0.1 or earlier and there is nothing you can do.

To confirm if you have SHSH or not follow my guide I posted earlier specifically the part about using tiny umbrella to save your SHSH locally to your computer.

All that tool does is edit your hosts file for you which you say you have done manually, it works just as well for iphone 4, it just says 3GS because when it was made iPhone 4 wasn't out yet. If you have edited your hosts files correctly to point to Sauriks server and are still getting that error then you don't have SHSH for 4.0.1 or earlier and there is nothing you can do.
    Damn! well at least I tried. do you know if 4.0.2 will ever be able to be jailbroken ? or is jailbreaking now something of the past

EDIT: I just tried restoring to 4.0.2 again and gave me an error 1102 i think or 1002. saying it can't be restored and then has the itunes plug on the screen of my phone.
    Last edited by aj949; 2010-09-05 at 03:03 AM.

Thanks

Once 4.1 comes out next week we will know more of when the next jailbreak will be coming out. Patience, jailbreaking is alive and kicking.

Once 4.1 comes out next week we will know more of when the next jailbreak will be coming out. Patience, jailbreaking is alive and kicking.
    awesome. I'll take a look at the guide later. thanks for the help