Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Currently iphone 3gs 3.1.3 want to upgrade & jailbreak. How?

Default Currently iphone 3gs 3.1.3 want to upgrade & jailbreak. How?
    Sorry if htere is already a thread on this but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have a iPhone 3gs MC Model (New Boot) that is jailbroken using spirit. I want to upgrade to the 4.0 ios and jailbreak but not sure how to go about it. Can I just go ahead and upgrade to the 4.0.2 though itunes no problem? Then once I get upgraded to the new ios how do I jailbreak it? Any help would be greatly apprecaited, thanks!

Nick N.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

4.0.2 cannot be jailbroken on a 3GS right now. Follow my guide here on how to get to 4.0.1 and then jailbreak:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general/725...e-restore.html

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

therenegadesofsound (2010-09-03)

I appreciate you taking the time to help me. That was a fast reply! I am going to try it tomorrow when I have my Mac Book Pro back so I can make sure to do it right since my desktop runs x64 bit windows. So I should be able to upgrade to the new ios then downgrade to 4.0.1 and jailbreak using jailbreak me right?

Thanks again!

Thanks

You don't need to upgrade then downgrade. Just restore directly to 4.0.1. And I know I say in the guide that 64 bit windows can have issues but it can work on that too. I have 64bit windows 7 on one of my machines and it has worked just fine on it. I just put the warning in there because some people tend to have issues with it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Ok I might try it when I get home then. I am running vista on my x64 bit. So you say don't upgrade then downgrade just restore? I haven't read all of that tutorial yet but I'm sure it explains step by step? So I would be pluggin in my 3gs new MC model (New boot) running 3.1.3 and just restoring using tiny umbrella to get to 4.0.1 then do jailbreakme? Sorry last question I promise!

Thanks

Sounds like you got it. Just follow the tutorial and you should be fine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi guys and girls !
    My first post at this forum and i start by hijacking this thread a bit

Just like ts i want to upgrade to 4.0.1
    My (i)phone is @ 3.1.2 JBd with blackra1n on old botrom, so i dont have to JB again every time i restart my phone.
    i have downloaded "iPhone2,1_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw" aprox 387Mb in size.

Now comes my questions.
    1. the ipsw file is named "restore" does this means that if i use it, my phone will be totaly clean from all apps/games i have installed now or will it be like a normal uppgrade where all apps/games and so on is still there just with the new iOS version on it ?

2. Iw heard about people downloaded this 4.0.1 ipsw file and when trying to install it they get a message in iTunes saying something like "you are not eligible to upgrade to this version" when they pressed "shift-click"
    Is it enough to EDIT the hostsfile on windows from apples server to sauriks "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" and try again and it should work ?

I have SHSH stored in Cydia all the way from 3.1 to 4.0.2.

Thanks for helping me and all the other people in the forum.

/Homie

Thanks

1: it depends on whether you shift click update or restore as to whether or not it gets wiped. But even if it does you can always load your backup onto it after.
    2: yes changing the hosts files should work fine for you if you have SHSH.

So I am still getting the 3002 error message after even going into DFU mode and trying the restore. Any suggestions?

Also now my phone won't get passed the apple logo. I have tried to go into recovery mode and not having much luck getting it to do that either. Help!
    Last edited by therenegadesofsound; 2010-09-04 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Are you using the tiny umbrella method or the hosts file method?

Ok it's back on and back to normal, looks like everything is good. I jailbroke with spirit on a mac and now i'm trying tiny umbrella on my 64bit p/c...is that an issue why i am getting error 3002? I can always try tomorrow on my mac? Thoughts?

Yes I am using Tiny Umbrella method. You just start the tss server thing then hold shift and click restore on itunes and select the ispw file from the page where you get the firmwares right? I'm pretty sure I am doing everything right just got the 3002 error. Phone's back in working order with the Jailbroken 3.1.3. Maybe I should wait and try it on the mac later huH?
    Last edited by therenegadesofsound; 2010-09-04 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

If tiny umbrella is giving you issues close that out and use the other method I say in the guide. Download 3GS downgrade assistant, right click on it and run as administrator then put iPhone in dfu and restore to 4.0.1. If still given you issues just try it tomorrow on the Mac.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

therenegadesofsound (2010-09-04)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks for the fast reply m8

/Homie

So I tried it on the mac this weekend and it said the same error "3002" what is the other method you talk about? I don't see a link to it within your guide? Thanks!

Thanks

The other method is editing your hosts files to point to cydia. You can do it yourself or you can use the 3GS downgrade assistant I linked to in my guide.

So I tried your other method but when follow the steps for the downgrader program thing it had a ton of boxes that keep opening up saying its in restore mode and I need to go to DMU or whatever. It keeps popping up window after window saying that. When I do try to click restore on itunes it says error 3194. Any ideas?

Also when I open up 3gs downgrade assistant it tells me "host file has previously been patched for gs.apple.com!" what does that mean?
    Last edited by therenegadesofsound; 2010-09-16 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

It means your hosts files are already patched so you dont need to run it again. You have to be in dfu mode to restore. I detail how to get into that in my guide or you can google it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

therenegadesofsound (2010-09-22)

Hey i tried DFU mode but still getting the same 3194 error message, any more suggestions?

Thanks

3194 is the error you get when it tries to restore to a firmware that apple isn't signing, for whatever reason your host file is not edited correctly and iTunes is still connecting to apple instead of cydia or local (your machine when using tinyumbrella tss server)
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-09-17 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

25. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

therenegadesofsound (2010-09-22)

Any suggestions on how to get it fixed? I would love to update to 4.0 and still have my jailbreak but it just doesn't seem to want to!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast