Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help Jailbreaking (Downgrading) iphone 4.0.2

Default Help Jailbreaking (Downgrading) iphone 4.0.2
    Brand new phone this week, and I've been trying everything I can find on the internet to jailbreak this thing with zero luck. Same with using TinyUmbrella, etc to downgrade to 4.0.1 (or lower if that's possible or easier, also with no dice.

I've downloaded iPhone3,1_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw several times and get to the point in the restore process where I get error 31XX, and tried a number of fixes for that which also failed. I'm stumped.

Easy solution?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Apple does not allow downgrading so you're stuck without a jailbreak for now. 4.1 will be out next week and I expect the Dev Team to release something for that FW.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

You need SHSH to be able to downgrade an iphone 4, since it is brand new and came with 4.0.2 you cannot get SHSH for 4.0.1 so cannot downgrade and jailbreak. You will have to wait for 4.1 to come out and whatever jailbreak which should follow that release.

edit: Poseidon beat me to it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

In case you're wondering.. an SHSH is a digital authorization signature file you can only obtain from Apple. When Apple releases a new firmware they stop signing older firmwares so you can no longer obtain this SHSH file anymore.

There's a lot of chatter on the web about how to downgrade that people swear works - are you saying it's impossible to take my phone to 4.0.1? Just curious.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Let me clarify that answer a bit, though, for future use.

Apple does not allow downgrading? Quite true, and they've given us some pretty nasty tricks to get around to prevent it. Your 31XX error points to the most common one, Apple not signing a previous firmware version you wish to install, and you not having the SHSH saved somewhere "for just such an eventuality".

Since this is a new phone, it's unlikely that you'll find that Cydia has an SHSH on file for you. However, get TinyUmbrella, run it, plug your phone in and press "Save my SHSH".

That will pull your 4.0.2 SHSH from Apple, and through Cydia. Once that's done, even though it's unlikely that you'll ever come back to 4.0.2, you've started the process, and Cydia will save SHSHs for you for all subsequent iOS versions, whether you install them or not, whether you take any action or not.

And, while you've got your iPhone 4 plugged in, you can always check "Advanced Options" and see if Cydia might have a 4.0.1 SHSH on file for your device. It's not at all likely, but we've had a few guys win this lottery, so what've you got to lose?

By the way, I did see that you said you've used TU, but I can't tell if you actually understood the concept, and therefore I can't tell if you used it as I've described here. That's why I'm throwing it in.