Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SHSH Troubleshooting...

Default SHSH Troubleshooting...
    Anybody have some troubleshooting tips for me?

I've been having Cydia store my SHSH blobs since way back when, and I've also modified my hosts file as necessary. (And is ping test verified working). I finally went to uprade my 3GS to 4.0.1 (from 3.1.2). Got that wonderful "not eligible" message. Doesn't that mean that the cydia shsh server work-around for Apple's "current firmware only" limitation isn't working for me? (Is there some cases where that message means something else altogether?) And if that's what it means, how can I go about troubleshooting why I can't get my "device" approved for the 4.0.1 "build"?

I guess I need to ask one more question. It is possible (however unlikely) that I didn't open Cydia between the release of 4.0.1 and 4.0.2. If I didn't, would Cydia not have saved my SHSH for 4.0.1? I assumed it was keeping a current record without me having to do anything.

Thanks for your time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

First, let's verify that you DO in fact have a 4.0.1 SHSH saved on Cydia.

- Download and run TinyUmbrella
    - Connect your iPhone
    - Once it shows as connected, check the "Advanced Options" box
    - TinyUmbrella should display your iPhones decimal ECID in the ECID window
    - In the Device\Firmware drop down, be sure to select "iPhone3GS 4.0.1 (8A306)"
    - Click "Save my SHSH"

That should tell you very quickly whether you have it or not. BUT...

...there's something going on that many of us haven't figured out yet. So, even if the event window says that it was unsuccessful and there's no way to get the SHSH, come back later and try. And then, if you go from unsuccessful to successful, there are several of us here that would like to know that.

Successful. I have SHSH's for 3GS 4.0.1. 8A306

Thanks

What does your host file look like? If your getting the "not eligible" message chances are it's not set up quite right.

Thanks

Okay, that being the case, then go to c: \windows\system32\drivers\etc, where you'll find the hosts file. Be sure to run notepad as an administrator by right-clicking on the notepad icon in your accessories folder and selecting "run as an administrator."

Then verify the entry you made to point gs.apple.com to Cydia is still there, and doesn't have a # in front of it. That would keep the entry from working.

As noted in the opening post, the host file is set up properly.

So, if I have SHSH's on Cydia's site, and am properly resolving the DNS, under what circumstances would I still get "not eligible"? Anyone had this issue?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emiros View Post
    As noted in the opening post, the host file is set up properly.

So, if I have SHSH's on Cydia's site, and am properly resolving the DNS, under what circumstances would I still get "not eligible"? Anyone had this issue?
    Posting the hosts file would help. I know you said you set it up correctly, but there might be something you hadn't thought about.

There aren't any reasons why you'd get the 3194 error if you have stored SHSH and you've set up the hosts file correctly.

edit: if you don't want to bother with it, you can use TinyUmbrella's TSS server to make the downgrade using the 4.0.1 SHSH you stored on your computer. Just click the 'Start TSS server' button and do the shift-restore in iTunes.
    Last edited by dhamien; 2010-09-03 at 03:18 PM.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

:\
    ok... entire line from host file

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

(no other line contains gs.apple.com--my host file is huge, so i'll spare you the rest)

Ping:
    C:\>ping gs.apple.com

Pinging gs.apple.com [74.208.10.249] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 74.208.10.249: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=47
    Reply from 74.208.10.249: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=47

Ping statistics for 74.208.10.249:
    Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 39ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 39ms

Ok, so I started fresh... upgraded to 4.0.2 successfully. Trying to jump back to 4.0.1. It gets to "Restoring iPhone software..." and has been sitting on about 70% for about 45 minutes. I believe that was what happened on the first attempt last week. I gave up after awhile and powered it off. I'm going to let it sit for a few hours this time, unless someone gets back to me with a better idea.

Oh, and TU says it granted the SHSH (so, i guess that was never the problem.)

No go. Several attempts. After anywhere from 1hr to 1hr30mins it stops with error 14. This last time I actually got two, first 14 then after I closed it and went to stop TU, it popped up 1479.

Something else that's going on is network... quirkiness. (That's an official term from this IT Admin.) Haven't exactly tied it down, but DNS seems to stop working. It seems related to TinyUmbrella, but I'm not for sure. (sometimes I have to stop TU and it work, others, I have to reconnect to my wifi). Anyway, I'm going to have a ping running in the background this time, to see if I can find out when the network drops. But really, anyone else... feel free to jump in here.

A question I'll throw out there... Should one stop TinyUmbrella after it gives the response? Does anyone else notice network flakiness when running the TU service?
    Last edited by emiros; 2010-09-06 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

In my signature, I mention a particular order to do things when using TU's TSS server. The TSS server must be started before you even start up iTunes. Give that a shot.

Thanks, Troop. Yeah, I read that order through a few times. It's started before hand. And like I say, I think it's probably not SHSH related anymore. (though I still get that particular error message from time to time.) I can't even upgrade to 4.0.2 at this point. Error 14 seems to be the major issue--no matter the combination of OS/network/cable/newComputerAccount. I've only recently got the "ineligible" message from a mac. Trying to set it up with TinyUmbrella but it doesn't seem to want to pull shsh's for my dtf'd iphone...and since even a straight 4.0.2 isn't working at the moment.... >.<

Right now i'm upgrading to iTunes 10 and redownloading and giving 4.0.2 another shot. Dangit. Still not working... error 14. ); Never thought I'd get to where I can't make anything work. Geez.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Error 14
    Error 14 is a generic error, and may be resolved by performing USB isolation troubleshooting, attempting to restore with a known-good USB cable, eliminating TcpWindowSize entries in the Registry (see "hang during restore", below), or by attempting to restore while connected to a known-good computer and network. See the steps in the public section.
    What I could find on error 14.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Well, what snow leopard/tiger/windowsxp on three different networks using two different iphone connect cables couldn't resolve a Windows 7, on a fourth network with an old nasty cable, did. I was able to upgrade to 4.0.2 with it. Think I'll hold here at 4.0.2 for awhile... build up the will to venture near the evil "Restore" button. ><

For posterity's sake, here's an overview. Most of my issues on all platforms/networks/hardware ended with 14 (usb issue). Frequently on mac's I would get "ineligible". Also seen were 13XX (hardware malfunction, i believe is what apple said) and 14XX. The solution involved a machine my iphone had never touched using a really old cable and restoring current firmware through Windows7 and iTunes10 (on an existing user profile).