Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restore and keep same firmware?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Restore and keep same firmware?
    Device: iPhone 3G 8GB
    Firmware: 3.1.3
    Jailbreak: Spirit

Hello guys. Just a general question for you all. I'm planning to sell my iPhone to a friend, so I need to wipe everything on it. Do I do this by restoring it on iTunes? If I do this, will it wipe all the data plus keep it on 3.1.3? I want to keep this firmware so the buyer has the option whether they want to upgrade it to 4.x. Also, do I need to do anything else with certain apps since it's jailbroke (like remove apps from CategoriesSB folders)? I'm worried that if I try to wipe it, it might automatically upgrade the firmware. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

EDIT: *New question* If I decide to upgrade it to 4.x, will I be able to use jailbreakme.com in the future? My cydia has the SHSH's saved on file apparently, though I'm not sure if I need to somehow save these from the device onto my pc? Thanks again!

PS: My newly purchased iPhone 4 came with 4.0.1, do you guys think I should jailbreak it right away? Or upgrade to 4.1 and wait for that jailbreak to be released?
    Last edited by Funked; 2010-09-14 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Updated question

Thanks

Yes you can do that and if you restore the phone it will wipe EVERYTHING so make sure you back up first. To keep it on 3.1.3 make sure you have the 3.1.3 .ipsw file on your computer and you know where it is, if you need it you can download it here: ModMyi Forums - Downloads - iPhone 3G 3.1.3

Then Go to itunes and if your using a mac hold the option key and click restore, if your using windows hold shift then click restore. Then navigate to wherever your 3.1.3 .ipsw file is stored and choose it and the restore should begin and once done your phone will be back to 3.1.3 factory settings. Then in itunes set it up as a "new phone" and don't restore from your last backup.
    Last edited by tjfitz7; 2010-09-02 at 05:00 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tjfitz7 For This Useful Post:

Funked (2010-09-02)

Thanks

That sounds great, thanks a lot for your help! I'm planning to buy an iPhone 4 so that's the reason behind this

Thanks

Sorry for the double post + bumping an old thread, but I didn't think it was relevant to make a new topic. Please advise me on what to do with my new question regarding 4.x jailbreak using jailbreakme.com. Thank you!

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Funked View Post
    Sorry for the double post + bumping an old thread, but I didn't think it was relevant to make a new topic. Please advise me on what to do with my new question regarding 4.x jailbreak using jailbreakme.com. Thank you!
    For Iphone 4 , 4.0, 4.0.1 can be jailbroken by jailbreakme.com from Safari on your Iphone. Real easy, it is just Slide to Jailbreak.

Thanks

Personally I would jailbreak it now with jailbreak me, and then update and rejailbreak when the 4.1 jailbreak comes out, but I also prefer a jailbroken iphone lol. The new jailbreak is a bootrom exploit which means apple will have to change the hardware to "fix" it, with that being said it never hurts to have your shsh blobs on file. I believe tiny unbrella will save your shsh blobs to your pc, if you just goole tiny umbrella it should give you what you need.

Thanks

I also prefer a jailbroken phone for sure lol, I just thought it would be hassle to update it to 4.1 and rejailbreak, since the 4.1 jb is hopefully just around the corner!

Regarding the original question though, please note I was talking about my 3G when I asked if I should save my SHSH's. I believe it's a "soft SHSH check" for a 3G and is different for a 3GS, that's why I am confused. I still want to benefit from jailbreakme.com on my 3G no matter what firmware it's on. Although I believe a 3G can be jailbroke using redsn0w on 4.x, is this true?

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe