Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 to ios4

You can update to 4.0.2 (newest version) and jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.5
    Unlock with ultrasn0w

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Below is for Old bootrom :
    When you are using CFW ( custom firmware ) , you do not need to edit your hosts file. Make sure if you want to restore to iOS 4.0 , you must have atleast Itunes 9.2 to be able to do that. Restoring to custom firmware does not flash the Baseband ( BB).
    If you cannot unlock with Ultrasn0w,and you feel that your current BB is corrupted and need for a reflash, you will need to flash the BB by restoring to Stock firmware, if you have the 3.1.2 shsh blogs, then you can restore to stock 3.1.2 (you will need to edit your hosts file to point to Cydia ) and do the Shift + Restore to stock 3.1.2. Once this is done, you can jailbreak with Blackra1n or Redsn0w 0.9.2, you cannot jailbreak with Spirit nor Jailbreakme.com if you plan to use restore Custom Firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by iphonefreakify View Post
    my friend bought recently iphone 3g s, it's jailbroken on 3.1.2 and it's an MC model . how would i know what method being used to jailbreak it? i tried ultrasn0w it didn worked, i tried blacksn0w it stopped my wifi, didn worked either. so i want it on 4.0.1, shall i try the same method you guy's telling him to upgrade even though i dont know wat method being used to jailbreak it? please help good people.
    p.s i have itunes 10.
    For 3GS, there is no jailbreak at OS 4.0.2. If you are at 4.0.1, then jailbreakme.com from Safari on your Iphone will jailbreak for you.

Quote Originally Posted by korin125 View Post
    You can update to 4.0.2 (newest version) and jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.5
    Unlock with ultrasn0w
    This is only for 3G users. Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 at iOS 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2 but point to OS 3G 4.0 ipsw.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-05 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Below is for Old bootrom :
    When you are using CFW ( custom firmware ) , you do not need to edit your hosts file. Make sure if you want to restore to iOS 4.0 , you must have atleast Itunes 9.2 to be able to do that. Restoring to custom firmware does not flash the Baseband ( BB).
    So I don't even need to change my host files?!?!

Okay. I've been holding out on upgrading firmware until some much needed Cydia favorites were iOS4 compatible. I'm finally ready to upgrade to iOS4 but I have some questions I need answered first.*
    Stats: iPhone 3GS running 3.1.2 Jailbroken via blackra1n.

I have shsh blobs saved in Cydia for 3.1 - 4.0.1.
    Home computer is a PC running Windows XP.

Okay, so from what I've gathered I need to download snowbreeze v. 1.7 and create a custom ipsw. (I've been jailbreaking since I got my 1st gen iPhone, so I'm familiar with this process.)*
    My first question is, should I create my custom ipsw with 4.0 as oppose to 4.0.1? I've read some mixed opinions. I know 4.0.1 just addresses the signal bars, but I would like to use the newest firmware possible.
    Then I need to*edit my host file to connect to Saurik's server. This is where my second question comes in. I've found multiple host files since, from what I understand, apple finds out about them, blocks them, and Saurik puts up a new one. So, how can I be sure that I have the latest host file that will work for Saurik's server?
    From there, it should be a simple DFU mode, shift-click restore right?
    Lastly, there have been multiple reports of people saying that iTunes will not let people restore to a custom ipsw (shift-click restore) since fw 4.0.2 came out. Are these just people who don't know what they are doing, or is this true? Is upgrading to jailbroken 4.0/4.0.1 still possible?
    Thank you in advance to everyone who takes the time to comment and help me with this.

CHR!S*

Thanks
    Allright, a bit more detail. I have got 3GS MC MODEL on 3.1.2, Modem Firmware 05.11.07, pre jailbroken with unknown method to me. if i want iOS 4.0, is it possible? if not can i restore to 3.1.2 again just for a refresh? and then jailbreak and unlock it? biggest thing that matters to me is Unlock. any luck? any thing? please

Thanks

Chris, update your iTunes to the latest, don't worry about the hosts file, put your iPhone into recovery mode and restore to cfw made by Snowbreeze or Pwnage tools.

Edit : The reason why you can use Custom firmware is because you are already with Blackra1n & have the old bootrom, from this jailbroken iphone with Blackra1n, you can therefore restore to custom firmware (CFW). It has been said many times, CFW bypasses the verification of shsh blogs when restoring to it, that is why you do not need to edit your hosts file.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-05 at 09:28 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

CHR!S (2010-09-05)

Guys for common sense sake.. this thread was made to answer my question!
    Anyway just wanted to let u know in case u r also stuck. After u jailbreak 3GS 4.0.1 with jailbreakme.com, and unlock it with Ultrasn0w u are stuck on emergency screen as different/unsupported sim was installed!
    well go to this link and hopefully u should be sorted!
    Fix Different SIM Detected (Emergency Mode) Problem in iPhone 4 / 3GS / 3G After Jailbreaking with JailbreakMe | Redmond Pie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qachee View Post
    Guys for common sense sake.. this thread was made to answer my question!
    Anyway just wanted to let u know in case u r also stuck. After u jailbreak 3GS 4.0.1 with jailbreakme.com, and unlock it with Ultrasn0w u are stuck on emergency screen as different/unsupported sim was installed!
    well go to this link and hopefully u should be sorted!
    Fix Different SIM Detected (Emergency Mode) Problem in iPhone 4 / 3GS / 3G After Jailbreaking with JailbreakMe | Redmond Pie
    Is your problem solved yet ?

Thanks
    I made custom .IPSW of 4.0 with Sn0wbreeze, SHIFT+RESTORE it, it worked fine, then installed Ultrasn0w but it never worked, so i restored again lol, then installed Ultrasn0w again and seems to work, i can see o2-UK but with no signals. cant make recieve calls. any ideas now please? again, i am on 4.0, not 4.0.1. thank you people

P.S restored it third time, used Blacksn0w RC2, now it's showing me my carrier with ni signals but this time i can use my 3G. i can surf through my 3G and all, but no signals, cant make recieve calls. Any ideas people please?

Shall i make a new thread to get answers
    Last edited by iphonefreakify; 2010-09-06 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphonefreakify View Post
    I made custom .IPSW of 4.0 with Sn0wbreeze, SHIFT+RESTORE it, it worked fine, then installed Ultrasn0w but it never worked, so i restored again lol, then installed Ultrasn0w again and seems to work, i can see o2-UK but with no signals. cant make recieve calls. any ideas now please? again, i am on 4.0, not 4.0.1. thank you people

P.S restored it third time, used Blacksn0w RC2, now it's showing me my carrier with ni signals but this time i can use my 3G. i can surf through my 3G and all, but no signals, cant make recieve calls. Any ideas people please?

Shall i make a new thread to get answers
    Talk to your sevvice provider , 02, your imei number might be blocked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12