Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade a 3GS stuck at 3.1 (7C144) ?

Default Upgrade a 3GS stuck at 3.1 (7C144) ?
    I havent been using Cydia till now, I just read about it too late about saving SHSH blobs. Is there anyway I can upgrade my 3GS to 3.1.2 or anything under 4.0.2? My 3GS is jb with blackra1n currently, but most apps want a newer firmware.

Thanks

When you reboot the phone do you have to connect it to a computer and re-run blackra1n? If not and it just boots normally then you have the old bootrom. That means your phone will accept custom firmwares. You can use pwnage tool or sn0wbreeze to create any custom fw up to 4.0.1.

Or you can wait for 4.1, most likely coming out tomorrow. Hopefully the dev team has a jailbreak stored away somewhere

thanks guys, I used sn0wbreeze to create cfw of 3.1.2 and restored it back and got all my apps installed again. Are there any advantages of going to 4.0.X over 3.1.2?

Lots of new features, most of which avaialble by jailbreaking for many years (wallpapers, multitasking, etc.)

now that you're all set up, wait for 4.1 next week, and with that there will be things like gamecenter. Hopefully there'll be a jailbreak ready and you can update then .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lithod02 View Post
    thanks guys, I used sn0wbreeze to create cfw of 3.1.2 and restored it back and got all my apps installed again. Are there any advantages of going to 4.0.X over 3.1.2?
    Since you have the oldbootrom, you can create a custom firmware of iOS 4.0 and restore to it. If you don't like it, put your iphone into recovery mode and restore to custom firmware of 3.1.2or even 3.1.3. You don't have to mess with hosts file, custom firmware bypasses all shsh files when restoring. As long as you stay away from Stock firmware, you can always use cfw.
    But make sure, everytime, you need to restore, you must put your iphone into recovery mode to restore to cfw.

good info about being able to switch to 4.0 Thanks
    are there issues with 4.0 firmware and the status bar notifications?
    I have 3.1.2 and the status bar doesnt update with notification of sms, missed calls etc. I have tried StatusNotifier 0.2.10 from cydia. It only half way works, to show mail, sms, calls etc. but the actual app crashes as soon as you start it so i cant configure anything