Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Going abroad & wondering how much of a hassle it would be...

Arrow Going abroad & wondering how much of a hassle it would be...
    I love my Iphone, and honestly would not want to function without it. That being said, Im going abroad for 10 weeks, and my initial plan was to go to ATT and temporarily turn my Iphone into an Ipod touch, get Skype and an international cell phone so that I can make phone calls whenever I want either using the internet or my international cell.

But I am wondering how much of a hassle it would be to downgrade from 4.0.2, jailbreak, unlock, get a new SIM card in London, use my Iphone on that card for 10 weeks, then be able to return my Iphone to my original ATT plan upon return into the US.

What would need to be done/ would it be worth the trouble? Should I just use my Iphone as an Ipod touch and have an international phone while abroad? That just seems a bit less confusing to me.

Also, how would I go about temporarily turning my Iphone into an Ipod touch? Meaning I would freeze my account with ATT, and turn off roaming and cellular services for 10 weeks, while I am still able to use it for WiFi, Ipod, Skype, and what not.

Any feedback is appreciated,
    Thank you very much,
    -Mike

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

If your phone has never been jailbroke before, then you most likely don't have the shsh files that you would need to downgrade it to 4.0.1 so you could jb an unlock it. If you think you might have shsh blobs on file you can use tinyumbrella to check for you. The Firmware Umbrella

As far as making it a ipod just suspend your account with at&t and remove the sim if you want.
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 2010-08-31 at 11:18 PM.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

[QUOTE=jonzey36;5431063]I love my Iphone, and honestly would not want to function without it. That being said, Im going abroad for 10 weeks, and my initial plan was to go to ATT and temporarily turn my Iphone into an Ipod touch, get Skype and an international cell phone so that I can make phone calls whenever I want either using the internet or my international cell.

But I am wondering how much of a hassle it would be to downgrade from 4.0.2, jailbreak, unlock, get a new SIM card in London, use my Iphone on that card for 10 weeks, then be able to return my Iphone to my original ATT plan upon return into the US.

What would need to be done/ would it be worth the trouble? Should I just use my Iphone as an Ipod touch and have an international phone while abroad? That just seems a bit less confusing to me.

Also, how would I go about temporarily turning my Iphone into an Ipod touch? Meaning I would freeze my account with ATT, and turn off roaming and cellular services for 10 weeks, while I am still able to use it for WiFi, Ipod, Skype, and what not.

Any feedback is appreciated,
    Thank you very much,
    -Mike[/QUOTE

The last I knew the only way ATT will put your account on hold is if you're in the military and getting deployed overseas (I tried to get them to put my account on hold when I left the US for a bit and they wouldn't... I'm now with T-Mobile ). If you do have a way to get your iPhone unlocked buying a local SIM when you get to London is a great way to go.