Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: upgrade jailbreak (3.1.2 to 4), how to save cydia app data?

Default upgrade jailbreak (3.1.2 to 4), how to save cydia app data?
    Hi,

I have a jailbroken 3GS still running 3.1.2 and am thinking of upgrading to 4.0.1. I have SHSHs on file for every firmware since 3.1, saved thanks to cydia and also copied to my hard drive with tinyumbrella. I just downloaded the 4.0.1 firmware from iClarified.

So I'm prepared, but reluctant to let iTunes install anything on my phone because of what than means for my cydia mods.

Is there a way to save my cydia apps, apps installed by terminal, rom files and other app data so that I can restore them after an upgrade? (Does PKGbackup work with firmware upgrades?)

And is there a way to upgrade without tinyumbrella? I can't remember my windows admin password, so until I sort that out no TSS server for me.

Thanks very much!

Is is never recommended to restore your cydia apps, especially from a version that is so different from eachother (ie. 3.x.x to 4.x.x). Not all apps, themes, or tweak are updated (however many are).

You should just write down somewhere all your favourite app and install them manually. For other files, like roms, you should just be able to SSH in and copy them to your computer.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to korin125 For This Useful Post:

LVU (2010-09-01)

Hey, Sorry to sort of hijack the thread, but how do you restore your 3gs 3.1.2 and upgrade to 4.0

My Iphone is jailbroken and having problems so i want to go get it replaced while i still have some warranty left on it. I also want to upgrade to 4.0.

P.S im not very good with iphone tech.

Check your Cydia and see which shsh files you have. You can shift-click restore to that firmware if you have tinyumbrella and it's tss server running.

1) download tiny umbrella from The Firmware Umbrella
    2) start TSS server
    3) download the firmware from iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download
    4) shift-click restore

6. The Following User Says Thank You to korin125 For This Useful Post:

LVU (2010-09-01)

Thanks Korin helped a lot!

Glad to help!