Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS. Am I Screwed?

Default 3GS. Am I Screwed?
    Friend my mine gave me his 3GS to fix that he purchased in the US (via ebay) Was running 4.0.2 when I got it (wasn't jailbroken) Was detecting simcard, but you couldn't make phone calls.

I've spend hours and hours reading over articles, and trying stuff (i've jailbroken/unlocked crap loads of 2g iphone, of which I have one) but this 3gs has me stumped.

I think its running the new baseband firmware, and i've tried downgrading it to 3.1.3, which I can do using original firmware, but if I try to load jailbroken stuff I don't have any luck. Have tried most of the mac/windows tools for jailbreaking or unlocking, but haven't had any luck. Currently its sitting on 3.1.3, but locked about becuase I can't activate it or unlock it.

Am i screwed, or is there a way of getting it working that I haven't found yet?

Tiny umbrella should tell you which SHSH files are backed up for the device. Hopefully you'll either have 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, or 4.0.1 saved. Start the TSS server and downgrade to any of those firmwares.

You could easily jailbreak with jailbreakme.com but it will not activate for you. you will need either any aTT sim or a phonebook sim card.

do you know if its old or new bootrom?

I've already tried the tiny umbrella route. I've got SSH blobs for 3.1.3, 4.0 & 4.0.2

I've successfully downgraded to 3.1.3, but I can't jailbreak or unlock the phone. I can install the 3.1.3 firmware with SSh blobs, but it won't let me install custom 3.1.3 firmware (AKA jailbroken) Blackra1n and redsnow also fail at jailbreaking.

I'm pretty sure its on the new bootroom. A T&T sim card is out of the question because i'm half way across the world in New Zealand. Whats the phonebook sim card?

1) Good.
    2) Have you tried spirit jailbreak?
    3) I have never seen them but you might be able to buy it from an electronics store like radioshack but more easily online at DITS-SHOP - Phone Book Card. You can use this to activate, apparently.
    4) Are you using redsn0w 0.9.2?