Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3gs 3.0 and 3.1.2 to 4.0.2

Default 3gs 3.0 and 3.1.2 to 4.0.2
    Hi,

I apologize if this has been posted anywhere else. i did some reading and am very confused. i have 2 phones both jbroken. One is still on 3.0 and the other on 3.1.2. I want to update to 4.0.2 but dont know how. Is it even possible? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Only if youve saved the SHSHs for both phones. Check with TinyUmbrella (click on Display SHSH)

Thanks for the reply. Not sure what tinyumbrella means? in cydia, at the top it does say " this device has SHSHs on file for iphone OS/iOS: 33.1-4.01"

Does that mean i can?

Thanks

yes, but if you update to 4.0.2 then you will not be able to jailbreak (unless it's an iPhone 3G), instead update to 4.0.1 so you will retain the ability to jailbreak

Another stupid question. How do i update to 4.0.1 if 4.0.2 is the version that is being offered?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Shift+restore to a stock 4.0.1 ipsw after editting the host file.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lordbodom View Post
    Hi,

I apologize if this has been posted anywhere else. i did some reading and am very confused. i have 2 phones both jbroken. One is still on 3.0 and the other on 3.1.2. I want to update to 4.0.2 but dont know how. Is it even possible? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you
    For the 3.0 iphone, restore to custom firmware iOS 4.0

For the 3.1.2 iphone, if your 3.1.2 iphone was jailbroken by Blackra1n and you do not need to hook up to a pc to boot up after powering down, you can also restore to custom firmware iOS 4.0

For PC, go to iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones to download Snowbreeze 1.7 and build your custom firmware of iOS 4.0. You do not need 4.0.1 or 4.0.2. Create this CFW OS 4.0 and use it for both.

Put your Iphone into Recovery mode
    Shift + Restore to cfw iOS 4.0.
    Once successfully restored, you are already jailbroken at iOS 4.0

Hey guys! I have an almost similar problem. Got a 3GS off ebay. Was 3.1.2 with jailbroken blackra1n. Then I erased and cleared all settings to clear old data (big mistake) and now I'm stuck. I don't have the SHSH files. I've tried upgrading to 3.1.3/4.0/4.0.1 cause I need it unlocked but iTunes won't restore (error 3194). Changing host file doesn't work either.

What do I do next? Please, please help me quick I'm phoneless!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryanomice View Post
    Hey guys! I have an almost similar problem. Got a 3GS off ebay. Was 3.1.2 with jailbroken blackra1n. Then I erased and cleared all settings to clear old data (big mistake) and now I'm stuck. I don't have the SHSH files. I've tried upgrading to 3.1.3/4.0/4.0.1 cause I need it unlocked but iTunes won't restore (error 3194). Changing host file doesn't work either.

Do you have the old bootrom or do you have to hook up to a pc to boot up when it was working?

OR give me the first 5 digits of your serial number starting from the left.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Do you have the old bootrom or do you have to hook up to a pc to boot up when it was working?

Serial # is 86930 . Thanks

Thanks

Ok, you have the old bootrom, you can try restoring to custom firmware iOS 4.0 made by snowbreeze 1.7. You have to download the 4.0 ipsw too.
    Put your Iphone into Recovery mode
    Shift + Restore to CFW of iOS 4.0.

Edit : You can just create one custom firmware and do the shift + restore on both Iphones. Remember to put your iphone in recovery mode to avoid errors.

The 86930 is the one that has OS 3.1.2 correct.
    If everything works out well, please hit Thanks as a sign of appreciation.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-08-31 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post

I thinks it's the old bootrom. 87923. So week 23 right?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ryanomice For This Useful Post:

Captinsmooth (2010-08-31)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryanomice View Post

I have answered your questions on both of your thread.

You also have the old bootrom, try restoring to custom firmware, put your iphone into recovery mode and do the restore to cfw.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

lordbodom (2010-09-02)

Thank you for the replies. I was able to get teh 3.1.2 done fine. At first it did not synch with the carrier but i redid again without selecting activate and it worked. i will try the 3.0 over the weekend and see if that works.

Also on a note, seeems like 4.0 crashes when i install weathericon, liveclock. Anyone else hav this happen as well?

Thanks again

I don't know for sure but do weathericon and liveclock say that they have bene updated for iOS 4 in the chyangelog/description?

I dont think they have the updated 4.0 yet.

Another issue i had not sure if it is a problem. i got the 3.0 done too. Went through fine, but now the carrier logo isnt showing on top anymore. Is this ok or is there sometthing that went wrong?

I've never heard that before. If you can still connect don't worry about it. There's no reason to try to fix a tiny probme before a major firmware update.