Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Having trouble jailbreaking my iphone 3G 4.0.2

Default Having trouble jailbreaking my iphone 3G 4.0.2
    so this will be the first time im trying to do this because i can't find anyone to do it for me this time. i was going by the jailbreaking guide and once i got to the part where it says to open redsnow and find the firmware...it wont find the firmware. i downloaded it and saved it to my desktop like it told me to and its in a folder called "iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore" and when i click browse on redsnow it wont find it. so i extracted the folder so that redsnow could find it but now when i click on it it says no items match my search....what should i do?!!?

the jailbreaks only work up to 4.0.1 not up to 4.0.2 but i could be wrong if you have your SHSH blobs saved you could just downgrade using that

what is a SHSH blob? i just got this phone yesterday from someone and it had the latest upgrades on it, which i think is 4.0.2

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by infamouspally View Post
    the jailbreaks only work up to 4.0.1 not up to 4.0.2 but i could be wrong if you have your SHSH blobs saved you could just downgrade using that
    For iPhone 3G redsn0w will work just fine for 4.0.2 and he doesn't have to worry about SHSH blobs.

Quote Originally Posted by jesbian View Post
    so this will be the first time im trying to do this because i can't find anyone to do it for me this time. i was going by the jailbreaking guide and once i got to the part where it says to open redsnow and find the firmware...it wont find the firmware. i downloaded it and saved it to my desktop like it told me to and its in a folder called "iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore" and when i click browse on redsnow it wont find it. so i extracted the folder so that redsnow could find it but now when i click on it it says no items match my search....what should i do?!!?
    i assume you have the latest redsn0w which can be found here right? redsn0w 0.9.5 BETA [iPhone Dev Team]

In that case when you open it up and click browse you have to select the 4.0 firmware, redsn0w will not find it for you. Just put the original file which should have a filename of iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw on your desktop and when you click browse point it to that file on your desktop then proceed.
    Last edited by Simon; 2010-08-30 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

jesbian (2010-08-30)

is the firmware folder and redsnow folder supposed to be zipped?

Thanks

Unzip redsn0w. Do not unzip the firmware file (it isn't a folder). If for some reason your firmware does not have .ipsw at the end of the file name then you probably downloaded it with internet explorer which can downlaod them wrong as a .zip file. Either use a different browser and redownload it or change the extension from .zip to .ipsw (go to folder options in control panel and uncheck the box there that says hide extensions for known filetypes so that you can see the .zip part)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

jesbian (2010-08-30)

ok i finally figured all that out, thank you! is it possible to unlock it now? is that what the problem with 4.0.2 is?

Thanks

Yes you can unlock it by installing ultrasn0w from cydia