Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4.0 jailbreak questions

Default 4.0 jailbreak questions
    Hi all, I have some questions about jailbreaking.

Right now I have a 16GB iPod Touch 2G model MB with firmware 3.1.2 that was jailbroken with blackra1n. Recently, I decided to upgrade to firmware 4.0 because my iTouch randomly filled itself with over a gig of 'other' data and as far as I know the only way to get rid of that is by restoring. Right now I've downloaded the 4.0 firmware and RedSn0w 0.9.5b5 but thought it would be better to check some things before wiping my iTouch.

First, is RedSn0w tethered? and if not, is there an untethered jailbreak for 4.0?

Second, how do i work redsnow? Do I use itunes to restore up to 4.0, then run redsnow, or is that wrong?

Finally, should I even be using redsn0w or is there a better/easier jailbreak I should be using?

Thanks for your help!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

ok i could be wrong..... but unless you have your SHSH blobs, you cant go to anything but 4.0.2 right now.... which if you do have an MB, that is fine, but 4.0 is better.... and you would restore completely, then restore from a back up..... other people would say dont do this, but i havent had any problems..... next, open redsn0w and just follow the guide..... when it asks for the firmware, just point it to the 4.0 no matter what you are on.... then follow the rest of the guide..... if it freezes somewhere, keep that one open and then start another one and do the exact same thing..... if you have any questions feel free to PM me....

Two ways to do this.

1) If you have your shsh for 4.0 or 4.0.2 (check cydia) you can use tinyumbrella to restore to those and jailbreak with jailbreakme.com

2) Update to 4.0.2 and use redsn0w, simple instructions on the official website

According to Cydia I do have SHSHs saved, but what do I do with them?

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dbzaol9 View Post
    According to Cydia I do have SHSHs saved, but what do I do with them?
    iPod Touch 2G – Windows

The Firmware Umbrella
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

The easiest thing to do is simply update to 4.0.2 and jailbreak with redsn0w.

If you device is too slow on iOS 4 you can disable Apple multitasking and wallpapers with zToggle so you can use cricuitous, winterboard etc. instead.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If youre already on 4.0 you should be able to JB with Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5

Edit: you wont be on a tethered jb.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-08-31 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost