Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Could be onto something! (or I Missed an obvious!?)

Wink Could be onto something! (or I Missed an obvious!?)
    OK, so now I have answered all queries into this discovery, I have to put it to you all in writing. This is all about restoring the iPhone to older firmware without SHSH on file.
    The following has been successful on the 3G and 3GS only. iPhone4 did not work and I haven't had a 2G to try it on.

Basically, i was given 2 phones on different occasions to try and make good of, both colleagues wanted to use the phone on T-mobile, thus needing to be jailbroken and unlocked. Both Phones were from Lost and Found and were passcode locked (Phones were left for 90 days unclaimed BTW!) As the only way i could see to restore the phone was to put into DFU Mode and restore from apple, I decided to fiddle and play around and see if i can restore them to 4.01 (4.02 was released about 1 hour before attempting phone no.1!)
    Now, there was a slim chance that these phones had been jailbroken before, so i pointed server to Cydia, did the shift+restore to 4.01, and on both occasions, they worked and I have two happy friends with new Toys.

Ok, so whats the big deal you ask?! Well once both phones were fully Jailbroken, I Opened Cydia and first thing it asks is Would i like to make my life easier! Strange I thought, wouldnt it already show the SHSH is on file? I clicked on that and up came the SHSH request Pending line. This left me thinking that maybe thats just the way it works, so to test it, i took my own 3GS and restored it to 4.01. Immediately in Cydia it popped up "SHSHs on file for 3.13, 4.0, 4.01.

So have i discovered that the 3G and 3GS can be downgraded in that manner or have I missed something.

Yes, this is my first post, but not a Noob to the board. I havent seen this mentioned anywhere, which makes me think I have missed something. So please let me know!!

Thanking you in Advance.

Fingez

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

At the time of restore 4.0.1 was still being signed so SHSHs werenr necessary.

The phones mustve had owners who saved the SHSHs before.

Your own phone Cydia saved your SHSHs from before. Cydia saves all SHSHs possible at the current time.

Everything sounds normal

Both phones were restored in this manner about 4-5 days after release of 4.02. Would 4.01 still be signed at that point? That makes sense, however without pointing at Cydia first, restores were unsuccessful.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

4.0.1 was signed until 08/19, days after 4.0.2 was released.

Thanks

Yep 4.0.1 was still being signed for quite a while after 4.0.2 was released, so that's why it worked.
    Now what really should have been done, since the phones came from the lost and found, connected to iTunes get the phone number and IMEI. Then contact the carrier to report that the lost phones were found so they can get them back to the owners. Just saying......

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Nah, I give him a pass after 90 days in lost and found. I think even the cops will give found property to the finder after that time.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    Yep 4.0.1 was still being signed for quite a while after 4.0.2 was released, so that's why it worked.
    Now what really should have been done, since the phones came from the lost and found, connected to iTunes get the phone number and IMEI. Then contact the carrier to report that the lost phones were found so they can get them back to the owners. Just saying......
    Oh Mr. Righteous...

Thats highly admirable (no sarcasm intended)