Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Please help with downgrading to 4.0.1 on new iPhone

Default Please help with downgrading to 4.0.1 on new iPhone
    After an hour of searching, I'm tired of trying to find the answer to this on google.

Ok... long story short. How do I rollback a spanking, brand-new, fresh-out-of-the-box iphone 4 32gb from 4.0.2 to 4.0.1 before I restore my backup from iTunes on it. I'm upgrading from a 4 16gb, but I've never jailbroken that phone although I was looking forward to jailbreaking the new one with jailbreakme when the new phone came in and the new freakin phone came in the mail with 4.0.2!!!

I don't want to sync my iTunes yet because I figured it would be easier to rollback the iOS with an "empty" phone.

This site won't let me post links yet b/c I'm new but on youtube "Downgrade iPhone & iPod Touch 4.0.2 Firmware" by koi2281 he suggests some ideas.

This seems like the way I will have to do it but everywhere I look (including the video above) everyone talks about making sure you have Cydia SHSH's backed up and stuff like that which I don't need to worry about because it's a completely blank phone and I had never jailbroken the one I had.

Basically... please tell me what's the easiest way for me to downgrade my iOS?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

First off, you DO need to worry about saved SHSHs. They are the key to downgrading. They in fact have nothing to do with jailbreaking, other than allowing you to downgrade to a firmware version that can be jailbroken.

I'm going to tell you a few steps, but don't get your hopes up. If at the conclusion of performing these steps you find that there are no saved SHSHs for this device, that means you're done, and can only wait until a new jailbreak is released after 4.1 comes out.

- Download and run TinyUmbrella. Google it if you're not familiar.
    - Connect your iPhone 4, and wait until TinyUmbrella detects it
    - Click the "Advance Options" check box
    - In the "Device/Version" dropdown, select "iPhone4 4.0.1 (8A306)"
    - Click the "Save my SHSH" button.

In the message window, it will tell you whether it was successful or not. If it says that Cydia does NOT have your SHSH, then you're done, and you cannot downgrade.

Be sure to repeat the steps above for 4.0.2 as well. Even though that may seem useless right now, when the new jailbreak comes out, it may work on 4.0.2 as well, and you might find the need to downgrade to that in the future. It couldn't hurt.

Ok thanks. I thought that the SHSH stuff was for people who had already jailbroke their iPhones and wanted to downgrade and since I was jailbreaking for the first time... I wouldn't have to worry about it. Oh well, I'm still learning and trying to figure this stuff out. Thanks again for the info.

I did what you said and this is what I got...

CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPhone4 4.0.1 (8A306) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE.

Thanks... I guess I'll just have to wait...
    Last edited by Knightbringer; 2010-08-29 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

I understand. The misunderstandings of what SHSHs are and how they work and why they're required is rather widespread, even amongst those that have been doing this for a bit. You've just stepped into this stuff, so no shame for not knowing. In fact, good on you for asking and listening.