Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: After reading way too much, need clarifiaction!

Arrow After reading way too much, need clarifiaction!
    Hi All,

Several months back, on initial purchase of my 3GS, the 1st time i went into iTunes, I updated software... making it unable to jailbreak at the time.

So... I have come back to the forum, and see it appears possible at this point. But after reading dozens of threads, the tutorials, etc. I am confused!

Everyone says make sure you have SHSH saved on cydia... however it appears you can't install cydia until the phone is jailbroken, so then how do you save a backup prior to the jailbreak?

Anyway... if any regulars could point me to some correct threads, and correct order to jailbreak that would be great. I'm not looking for step by step instructions... I can follow instructions, etc. if I get good info & know where to look!

Here's what I have...

3GS
    3.1.3 (7E18)
    05.12.01 Firmware

Thanks!

im new myself but from what ive read you can go to safari and go to jailbreakme.com and slide the bar just to do it. if it helps.. go to youtube and search "jailbreakme on 3gs" or similar titles. its real easy

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Jb with spirit. Google spiritjb. Run it in win 98 compatibilty mode. Super easy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

jailbreakme works fine also and easier than spirit.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Arrow OK
    Thanks guys...

Checked out a few videos. Think I'll use Jailbreakme - Gotta work all day tmrw so I won't be able to do this until tmrw night. I'll post back with results!

Thanks again!

Arrow Another question
    OK Guys.... After a long day at work. Here's a couple more for ya.

I downloaded tinyumbrella, and was able to get 4.01 & 4.02 SHSH files. It appears it won't save my current 3.1.3 version.

SO...

What is the best way to jailbreak, and get to 4.0.1 or 4.0.2? I saw some posts to not use 4.0.2.

Should I update from itunes... use my SHSH file to downgrade to 4.0.1, then can I do a jailbreak? Or, do I jailbreak, then upgrade, and have to re-jailbreak?

Thanks again for the input.

If you run tinyumbrella and start TSS server you should be able to shift-restore to 4.0.1 (4.0.2 IS NOT jailbreakable). Download firmwares from iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download.

However, I have also read in some threads that they needed to update to 4.0.2 before they downgraded, so you could try that if it doesn't work.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You shouldn't need to upgrade to 4.0.2 before going to 4.0.1
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Yes, but some people who have had a lot of trouble upgrading simply had to upgrade then downgrade.

Arrow Here's the result
    OK...

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not getting notifications for the thread or I would have posted sooner.

On both mine & my wifes phone I used TinyUmbrella to get bot 4.0.1 & 4.0.2 SHSH's. (Would I be able to use a 4.0.1 even though I was on 3.1.3 at the time... and will it be signed, since apple is now signing 4.0.2 I read some say it will work and others say no... Hhmmm)

We just upgraded the wifes phone to 4.0.2, no jailbreak.

I kept mine on 3.1.3 & jailbroke with jailbreakme.com - Then clicked the Cydia make my life easier.

So... last question I think... if I need to restore from cydia inthe future... with it be my 3.1.3 signed jailbroken SHSH?

Thanks again for all the replies & info!

You only have the SHSHes that Ctdia says you have, because you are on the firmware doesn't mean you can go back without them, and Apple WILL try to upgrade you.

As far as I know you don't even need to be jailbroken to save your SHSHes as long as you use tinyumbrella to save them.