Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Have 3Gs on 4.0.1 JB about to buy a Iphone 4 already with 4.0.2 what to do?

Default Have 3Gs on 4.0.1 JB about to buy a Iphone 4 already with 4.0.2 what to do?
    Hi guys,
    I'm new here so be easy on me.
    I just recently used jailbreakme on my 32 gig 3Gs and love it. I am about to buy an iphone 4 that has 4.0.2 installed from the "factory"
    Can i downgrade to the 4.0.1 that's currently on my 3gs? my SHSH are saved, I have the 4.0.1 software for the iphone 4 saved from felixbruns.
    am I SOL buying the 4 with the latest software released or is there a procedure I can follow to use felixbruns 4.0.1 then revisit jailbreakme or use the IOS I have on my 3GS?

Thanks for your help,
    LMK if i can answer anymore questions...
    Dougie

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

The answer is no. The SHSH saved for one device is useless for another, as surely your car key can't be used in another car. Each device has its own unique ECID which the SHSH is keyed to. Different device, different ECID.

As to what to do? If the 4 is a good deal, buy it. A jailbreak will come along after 4.1 comes out. Save the blobs for 4.0.2 with TinyUmbrella, just in case. Then be patient, and enjoy your 3GS until the new JB comes out.

Thanks for clearing things up a bit.
    I thought I might be able to install 4.0.1 when doing the initial activiation.
    I've been an iphone owner since the begining and have had every redition they have released...I don't know why it took me so long to JB, but now that I have there is no going back!!

Similarly to OP, I have a JB 3GS on 4.0.1 and have spent months customizing it to my liking.

My work is "forcing" an upgrade to iPhone 4... And I basically want to take an image of my 3GS and put it on the iPhone 4.

Is there any guide that can help me do this? Or is it impossible?

(Can I just save all the files using SSH onto my desktop and then copy them back onto the iPhone 4?)
    Last edited by Spiker11; 2010-08-28 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Typo

same here my iphone 4 arrives on the 21 sept.........i have just jailbroken for first time my ipod touch and it has just been wonderful and other than a donation it hasnt cost me anything...those guys like the dev team are awesome to do what they do and i will just be patient and look forward to the 4.1 jailbreak and say thanks when it arrives
    tim

Anyone have any clue?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What would happen if you backed up a JB 3Gs and restored it to an iPhone 4 on 4.0.2? Would the Cydia app appear ? I have my 3Gs still on 4.0.1. I was thinking I could JB get the MiWi app and be golden. Would it work?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

The answer is no. You might restore the 3GS backup to the 4, but that doesn't make it jailbroken, and Cydia will NOT appear, nor will MiWi.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I knew it wouldn't make it jail broken, thought maybe the apps would appear like a normal App Store app.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by F450Mikey View Post
    I knew it wouldn't make it jail broken, thought maybe the apps would appear like a normal App Store app.
    Thanks!
    Download appsync and appbackup package (I think that's it) and you can sync your phone and back up/restore your cydia apps...

Just realized this is an old thread of mine...sorry for bumping this, but vie learn alot over the past couple months