Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod Touch 3.1.3 to OS4. Want to format & remove Cydia. Have pics, need help.

Default iPod Touch 3.1.3 to OS4. Want to format & remove Cydia. Have pics, need help.
    I'm tired of this Jailbroken iPod. I want to REMOVE Cydia & Update the OS to the lastest version. However, my Ipod: A. Doesn't connect with iTunes, and B: Doesn't allow me to update apps on the app store. I don't want to "troubleshoot" this problem, I want to remove JB all together and go completely legit.

First thing I tried: Simply connecting the Ipod into the PC:
    1. Connected iPod to PC.
    2. Turned on iTunes.
    3. Received this error: Itunes could not connect to this iPod because an unknown error occured (0xE8000022).
    4. Tried killing "iTunesHelper.exe" background service (as well as any and all itunes/ipod/apple background programs).
    5. Restarted iTunes.
    6. Received this error: This iPod cannot be used because the Apple Mobile Device is not started.

Then I made the decision that I want to format this entire piece of junk and this is what I did: (With pictures, I apologize about the quality, saved them wrong)

1. Connected iPod to PC.
    2. Turned iTunes off.
    2. Turned iPod completely off.
    3. Held Top + Home Button for 10 seconds.
    4. Released Holding of Top button and continued to hold Home Button for 10 more seconds.
    5. Turned On iTunes.
    6. Got this picture: http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6959/66796992.png
    7. I selected OK.
    8. Clicked Restore.
    9. Watched this window: http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7122/46023199.png
    10 Clicked "Restore and Update".
    11. Received this error: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5307/92992479.png
    11a. "The iPod "iPod" could but be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build."

Other issues:
    1. The Ipod will not wirelessly download anything from the app store.
    2. It has Cydia: Version 1.0.3201-71 (I believe).
    3. It's current OS: 3.1.3 (7E18)

I really would appreciate any thorough and descriptive replies as I am not very familiar with all the "JB" lingo everyone seems to use.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkilla9 View Post
    I'm tired of this Jailbroken iPod. I want to REMOVE Cydia & Update the OS to the lastest version. However, my Ipod: A. Doesn't connect with iTunes, and B: Doesn't allow me to update apps on the app store. I don't want to "troubleshoot" this problem, I want to remove JB all together and go completely legit.

First thing I tried: Simply connecting the Ipod into the PC:
    1. Connected iPod to PC.
    2. Turned on iTunes.
    3. Received this error: Itunes could not connect to this iPod because an unknown error occured (0xE8000022).
    4. Tried killing "iTunesHelper.exe" background service (as well as any and all itunes/ipod/apple background programs).
    5. Restarted iTunes.
    6. Received this error: This iPod cannot be used because the Apple Mobile Device is not started.

Then I made the decision that I want to format this entire piece of junk and this is what I did: (With pictures, I apologize about the quality, saved them wrong)

1. Connected iPod to PC.
    2. Turned iTunes off.
    2. Turned iPod completely off.
    3. Held Top + Home Button for 10 seconds.
    4. Released Holding of Top button and continued to hold Home Button for 10 more seconds.
    5. Turned On iTunes.
    6. Got this picture: http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6959/66796992.png
    7. I selected OK.
    8. Clicked Restore.
    9. Watched this window: http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7122/46023199.png
    10 Clicked "Restore and Update".
    11. Received this error: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5307/92992479.png
    11a. "The iPod "iPod" could but be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build."

Other issues:
    1. The Ipod will not wirelessly download anything from the app store.
    2. It has Cydia: Version 1.0.3201-71 (I believe).
    3. It's current OS: 3.1.3 (7E18)

I really would appreciate any thorough and descriptive replies as I am not very familiar with all the "JB" lingo everyone seems to use.
    Alright, I'll try to assist.

First off, I'm sorry to hear you are leaving the jailbreak world to return to Apple's walled garden, but that's your decision.

If you are serious about not wanting to jailbreak again, go ahead and do a DFU restore (repeat what you did: hold power and home for ten seconds, then hold home down until iTunes pops up with the "recovery mode") to iOS 4.0.2. You should not have a "device ineligible for this build" message for iOS 4.0.2.

If you get that message again, or if you'd prefer attempt a restore to iOS 4.0 so you can jailbreak in the future, we'll try the Umbrella route to get your SHSH blobs to your iPod (the piece that's causing your error most likely).

Didn't work. This is how it went:

1. iPod was already connected to the PC (with iTunes on).
    2. I held the power button & shut off the ipod.
    3. I held the power button + home button for 10 seconds, then the home button until iTunes said: "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes.
    4. I selected OK (the only option).
    5. At this moment, all I have is this screen:

6. It doesn't work. After I select "Restore and update" (then select "Restore"), small dialog boxes appear with the text: "Extracting Software", "Verifying iPod restore with Apple...", "The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build."
    7. This is the exact same process I mentioned in the second part of my first post with no avail.

Edit1: Bump.

Edit2: Is there nothing I can do??

Edit3: I've now tried this guide as well: How To: Jailbreak Any iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad

0. Downloaded the latest firmware (Ipod Touch 4.0.2) file from: iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download
    1. Plug your device in, and open iTunes
    2. Shift-click (Windows) or Option-click the "Restore" button in your iTunes device summary page. Navigate to the firmware you've downloaded, and restore.
    3. Once this is done, iTunes will ask you if you want to set up your device as a new device, or from a previously stored backup. If your goal is to return to a life before jailbreak, you're probably going to want to restore.

Edit4: After about 3 minutes of the PC saying "Verifying with Apple" I got an error: The iPod "iPod" cannot be restored. An unknown error occured (1601).

Edit5: ARGH!!!!!!!!!! I can't download new apps, update my older apps, ANYTHING. I NEED THIS FIXED

Edit6 [Final]: Alright I learned that with this new "1601" error, updating iTunes allowed me to fix it.
    So yea, thanks Orby for the help thus far. /Topic.
    Last edited by Coldkilla9; 2010-08-29 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost