Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Did I screw my 3g

Default Did I screw my 3g
    So yesterday my friend gve me his 16gb 3g because he got a new 4. He has never jb/ul before ans he was still running 2.2, weird I know. Anyways i was going to update to 3.1.2 then set the poor iphone free (jb/ul) well about 3/4 of the way through restoring my dog bumped my laptop cord which unplugged it, thus causing my POS dell to die instantly. Now whenever i attempt to dfu the phone i get the, "software update not available". I tried editing the hosts file mentioned in another post to no avail and am super frustrated about what to do. Tried jb'ng using red snow .92 just to see f that would do anything but no luck. So i am currently stuck with a rather permanent connect to itunes pic. Any help woul be greatly appreciated.

You can only restore 4.0.2 now as that is the only signed firmware and you Don't have shah blobs stored, do that and then use a guide like
    Jailbreak iPhone 3G with iOS 4.0.2 using redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 | Apple | iThinkDifferent

Fortunately on the 3G you can still jailbreak on 4.0.2 with tools like redsn0w
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You can restore to 3.1.x just fine on a 3G without SHSHs

Put it into Recovery Mode (not DFU) while iTunes is open. When iTunes picks it up in recovery mode, shift+restore to 3.1.2 ipsw. It should be fine then. Jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.3.

Edit: Recovery mode=while phone is on, hold the power and home button until screen goes black. Release power button and continue to hold home until you see the USB+iTunes screen. Thats recovery mode.

You can also put your phone into recovery mode by using Recboot.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-08-27 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Cool ill try this when i get home and update hopefully it works.

Well recboot didnt work except for sending it into an unending loop of apple logo and connect to itunes back and forth, i was originally in recovery mode when i get software update not
    available so im not sure what to do now, any ideas anybody?

Ok so here is how I fixed it, very randomly! Basically a search on google led me to many worthless sites with people who really had no idea what they were doing, makes me really appreciate the people on here and the level of intelligence of this site. Anyways happened upon a post regarding internet settings in internet explorer, which I don't use, well after five seconds of unchecking the proxy server, viola I now have a 3g running 3.1.2 jb and unlocked. Heres the link to the site, super easy fix and hopefully this will help someone else. iphone update server could not be contacted
    Thanks anniex for your help to
    Last edited by calebratm; 2010-08-28 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost