Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrading, Brand new iPhone 4 - 4.0.2

Default Downgrading, Brand new iPhone 4 - 4.0.2
    Just got a brand spanking new iPhone 4 - Unfortunately it came with 4.0.2, what are my options to jailbreak? I have read extensively, but can't figure it out. Should I attempt to downgrade to 4.0.1 or just unlock it with 4.0.2?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You are SOL. Do what I did.

Yesterday, I bought a brand new 32GB i4 with 4.0.2. Today, I went to a different Apple store and exchanged it because it was "overheating". They gave me a 32GB 4.0.1 version. I was happy.
    Nothing beats the iPhone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itsmejdn View Post
    You are SOL. Do what I did.

Yesterday, I bought a brand new 32GB i4 with 4.0.2. Today, I went to a different Apple store and exchanged it because it was "overheating". They gave me a 32GB 4.0.1 version. I was happy.
    Pretty much.

Beg and plead for a 4.0.1 model (serial number should start xx030 or lower, might get as high as xx034 and be okay).

Seriously, be nice, and hope someone understands your plight and cuts you a break. All you can do at the moment to not get stuck.

no way to jailbreak 4.0.2 yet, just give it some time

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Do what orb said or sell yours and buy one on ebay or craigslist with 4.0/1. Unless you can wait a few weeks to a month. Not a guaranteed time limit though...

I'm wanting to buy a new iphone4
    If i can find some old stock with 4.0.1 installed, can i jb this or will the initial setup procedure with itunes automatically upgrade the f/ware to 4.0.2
    cjwj

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

My wife just got hers couple of days ago and it's got 4.0.2. Sucks! Back to the waiting game. But I think there won't be a jb for 4.0.2 instead dev team will prob wait til 4.1 is out.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cjwj View Post
    I'm wanting to buy a new iphone4
    If i can find some old stock with 4.0.1 installed, can i jb this or will the initial setup procedure with itunes automatically upgrade the f/ware to 4.0.2
    cjwj
    As long as you dont click "okay" when iTunes prompts you to upgrade to 4.0.2, you wont be forced to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg05 View Post
    My wife just got hers couple of days ago and it's got 4.0.2. Sucks! Back to the waiting game. But I think there won't be a jb for 4.0.2 instead dev team will prob wait til 4.1 is out.
    Sorry to hear that.
    That's why i'm keen to find out if any of us can get our hands on some stock with 4.0.1 firmware, whether we can keep it like that and not find that as soon as the phone is activated it too is automatically "upgraded" to 4.0.2 by itunes
    cjwj

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    As long as you dont click "okay" when iTunes prompts you to upgrade to 4.0.2, you wont be forced to upgrade.
    If it gives you that option in the process of activation, then that sounds good to me. thanks Anniex423
    cjwj
    Last edited by cjwj; 2010-08-26 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm in the exact same boat as maddawg. Waiting...

Default bypassing iTunes?
    I've had the 3gs for a year now and just got the new iPhone 4. Literally, like 10 minutes ago.

I've activated it and then plugged it into my laptop only to find out I have to upgrade to the newest iOs, which is bs. My serial number xx027, so I know I've got 4.0.1 or below but I'm stuck. iTunes won't let me complete the process until I DL and install the newest iOs.

My 3gs is running 4.0 (mistake) and I've backed it up and also has my SHSHs on file for Cydia.

My question is, can I somehow bypass the iTunes set-up for the 4 and just restore from my 3gs?

Thanks in advance!

Well, looks like it's a waiting game. I got the only iPhone left in this bfn city, so an exchange is out of the question. Thanks for the help.

so in the light of all this, i think i'll wait to get an iphone4 til the jailbreak is out for 4.1.
    If a lot of us did that then Apple might not be so keen to keep making jailbreaking difficult!
    At the moment, I've got a 3G, jailbroken and running 3.0.1 and it's perfect, if a little slow.
    cjwj

Quote Originally Posted by djta11 View Post
    I've had the 3gs for a year now and just got the new iPhone 4. Literally, like 10 minutes ago.

I've activated it and then plugged it into my laptop only to find out I have to upgrade to the newest iOs, which is bs. My serial number xx027, so I know I've got 4.0.1 or below but I'm stuck. iTunes won't let me complete the process until I DL and install the newest iOs.

My 3gs is running 4.0 (mistake) and I've backed it up and also has my SHSHs on file for Cydia.

My question is, can I somehow bypass the iTunes set-up for the 4 and just restore from my 3gs?

Thanks in advance!

I've read on another board that if you get the shop you buy it from to activate it, OR search for a guide to activating it without sim card thus not having to plug into iTunes you might have a solution. There's a youtube vid showing how to activate an iphone using a substitute for the sim.
    Personaaly, I'm still going to wait for 4.1 and a proper jailbreak, or if apple make it too difficult not bother at all!
    cjwj

Last week? I don't remember if it was still being signed then, but surely you can't anymore.

i have also da same problem as yours.
    i also got new iphone4 with 4.0.2 firmware version and stuck due to No jailbreak and Unlock available.
    plz help me out?

Well, 4.1 has been jailbroken and hopefully it will be released soon. 4.1 will update your baseband so don't update until the jailbreak is released that will preserve your baseband so you can unlock.

You can update to 4.1 and preserve your baseband if you update using tinyumbrella. Search and you'll find how to do it. If you updated to 4.1 already and updated your baseband to 2.10.4 on your iPhone 4 downgrade back to 4.0.2 NOW. When you downgrade on the iPhone 4 is will also downgrade your baseband, or at least it did with mine.

OK, so am i still screwed if I have a shsh file, but it's from a different phone? My iPhone 4 was running 4.0, but it was stolen last weekend. Naturally I got a new one, but, like everyone else the store gave me one with 4.0.2.

So can I downgrade with the shsh file from my old phone? Will that work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast