Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: REQ: Hand holding (3G 3.0.1 to 3.1.3???)

Default REQ: Hand holding (3G 3.0.1 to 3.1.3???)
    Howdy all!

I'm about as knowledgable about this stuff as I am scrimshaw (which is to say, NOT AT ALL!)

I have a jailbroken 3G (3.0.1) that doesn't run all the apps/games I'd like it to (some require 3.1, some 3.1.3). I want to update to 3.1.3 (or higher?) with minimal mess and fuss. I have about 100 apps installed, customized backgrounds/icons, custom lock screen, etc... Ideally, I want to not lose all this stuff or have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get them all back.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial, or walk me through, the easiest way to go about an update? Also, what can I expect to make the update and what will I lose?

Also, since I don't want to have to jump through the upgrade hoops again anytime soon, would I be better off going to something higher than 3.1.3? A couple of apps I wanna run currently require 3.1.3 but I'm scared that in the not to distant future more apps will require even higher firmware?

BTW, I did try editting my plist to "fake" 3.1.3 which worked for 2 apps, but not for 3 others (they installed onto my phone but will not run).

Ok. First, what does Cydia say at the top of the screen about SHSH, hopefully you'll have 3.1.2 or 3.1.3. The 3G can be jailbroken on all the 4.x.x version even 4.0.2 but people say it's too slow at the moment.

You can back up all the Cydia apps you've installed but it's not a good idea. It's not even recommended to restore from a backup from iTunes if you've been jailbroken.

Let me know what specifically you want to do and I'll be back.

It say "This device has a pending TSS request"? Is that because I recently editted my plist or ???

I'd like to go to the newest version that is not slow (is that 4.0.1?).

Any other info I should supply that I didn't? Just let me know!

Thanks

if you want to go to 3.1.3 then just download an official 3.1.3 from the download section of this forum and shift+restore (pc) or option+restore (Mac) in iTunes then jailbreak with redsn0w, you will lose everything with the restore but can resync afterwards to get back all AppStore stuff and contacts ect., you will habe to reinstall all the cydia stuff or use aptbackup or pkgbackup, you don't need shsh's for a 3G on any firmware lower than 4.0 so no worries there, setup as new when you restore as it is never recommended to restore from the backup of a jailbroken phone

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You wont need SHSHs on a 3G to go to 3.1.x. Just 4.0+.

You can simply download the 3.1.3 and 3.1.2 ipsw. Shift+restore to them as normal without SHSHs or editing host file.

Youll need both 3.1.3 and 3.1.2 ipsw if restoring to 3.1.3 if you dont have an official carrier's SIM or phonebook SIM.

If you do have a SIM, shift+restore to 3.1.3. Activate with SIM, jailbreak by going to jailbreakme(dot)com via Safari on your phone and slide to jailbreak.

If you dont have a SIM, shift+restore to 3.1.3. Download Redsn0w 0.9.4 and jailbreak with that (point to the 3.1.2 ipsw like I said was needed since you wanted 3.1.3; Redsn0w doesnt recognize the 3.1.3 ipsw just the 3.1.2).

As for your apps not backing up/syncing, this is probably (not accusing or anything, just sayin) a result of cracked apps which we dont discuss or help with around here. If they are all paid or downloaded legally via the app store, iTunes should sync just fine. Select "transfer all purchases" by right clicking on your device in iTunes to sync them and back them up. Shouldnt require any patches or fixes for a legally downloaded app.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

MastiffMike (2010-08-25)

Thanks

oops, forgot to mention needing the 3.1.2 ipsw also, thanks for pointing that out Anniex423

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Didnt mean to steal your thunder :P You beat me to posting by a second so I didnt read your post lol.

Thanks

you didn't steal my thunder at all, your post is much more in-depth than mine, the more info we can give, the better for the OP, that's why we help

Great help everyone! Questions though...

What's a "SIM"? I'm on AT&T and as far as I know, my phone is NOT unlocked, just jailbroken.

What about all my cosmetic customizations? (lock screen, backgrounds, custom battery icon, wifi, etc.) Will all those be lost?

My apps, they're all paid for! They're all in iTunes. I got my iphone, jailbroke the first week I had it, and haven't had to restore or update it since then. So my naivity probably leads to me misunderstanding things. Am I correct to assume that all my iTunes apps can be put back on my phone by just sync'ing after the update?

My contacts, email addys, phone numbers, etc - Will they all be OK afterwards too?

Oh, also....

I'm in Minnesota so can't one of you just come to my house and do it for me?!?!
    Last edited by MastiffMike; 2010-08-25 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

yes, all iTunes related stuff (apps, contacts, etc.) will be restored when you sync afterwards, as far as Cydia apps, wallpaper, ringtones, & whatnot will have to be reinstalled since they will not be there after the update

since you are on AT&T then you don't need to unlock, a "SIM" is a sim card
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-08-25 at 07:25 AM.

Cool! I'm sooooo close to feeling like I can do this!

For my comfort sake let me run this by you as what I have to do:
    1. Backup my phone using iTunes (just in case!)
    2. Download 3.1.3 ipsw
    3. Using iTunes, shift+restore to 3.1.3
    4. Activate with SIM I don't understand this part?
    5. Jailbreak by going to jailbreakme(dot)com via Safari on your phone and slide to jailbreak.
    6. Sync phone using iTunes to load my apps, contacts, etc.
    7. Install Cydia and start the process of re-customizing my wallpaper and icons and stuff (I don't remember how I did all the customizations but since I figured it out once before I can probably do it again - though it took my DAYS!!!)

Also, before I do all this, is there an easy way (using WinSCP maybe?) to copy all my modified icons, backgrounds, etc. and to then put them back?

Thanks for all your help... I really am starting to feel like this might be doable!!!

Thanks

that's all there is to it, as for not understanding your number 4, you are on AT&T so you will activate when you connect to iTunes, someone using an unofficial carrier (t-mobile) will have to activate by borrowing an official sim card or a phonebook sim, as far as copying your custom icons I'm not sure about all that because I usually just reinstall all my themes through cydia

14. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

MastiffMike (2010-08-25)

Just a follow-up to my situation. Following the great advice I received from j3st3r3 and Anniex423 I was able to update to 3.1.3 and restore all my apps and even reloaded all my customizations. Everything is running smoothly and the apps that wouldn't run on 3.0 are now running fine!

As a guy who was confused (probably from reading TOO much conflicting stuff on the interwebz) and fearfull of the process, I'd like to say THANK YOU to j3st3r3 and Anniex423!! Without their help I wouldn't have attempted it, and without their hand-holding it wouldn't have gone as smoothly and painlessly as it did!

THANKS!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

thanks for thanking me even tho j3st3r3 did most of the work lol.

Glad youre up and running now.

Thanks

glad it's working for you, helping/learning is why we are here