Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: upgrading iphone 2g

Default upgrading iphone 2g
    Hello. I've been given an iphone 2g and I need your help.

the phone is jailbroken and unlocked, it's running firmware 2.2.1, and it's filled with photos, contacts, apps, etc, of the previous owner, that I don't want to keep.

So, I've been reading this thread (http://modmyi.com/forums/general/709...i-upgrade.html), which is similar to what I want.. upgrading and jailbraking to firmware 3.

Now the questions:

-since I don't want to keep anything on the phone, I guess I should restore.. which I suppose will un-jailbreak it, and return it to firmware 1.1, since this phone is one of the firsts that came out. Will that be a problem?

-I don't have itunes on my computer and never have. In this post (http://modmyi.com/forums/general/709...ml#post5246192) yeow202 tells the OP not to update itunes. What version should I install on my computer?

-should I upgrade to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3? I havent' really understood why 3.1.2 is "easier"...

-My phone is unlocked already.. following this guide (How to Jailbreak/Unlock 3.1.3 iPhone 2G Windows & OS X), should I check the "unlock" option? I'm guessing yes...

thanks for any input you can give me. If I can avoid to brick this phone with your help I'll appreciate it

Thanks

im pretty sure since it is already unlocked that it will stay unlocked (only the 2g does this, all others have to be unlocked everytime a restore is done), you will definitely want to go to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 since most apps require you be running at least 3.1.2, a restore is simple, just download the 3.1.2 ipsw, shift+restore (pc) or option+restore (mac) and run redsn0w to jailbreak (follow the guide in your post), it's super simple, here is a link for a 3.1.2 ipsw and 3.1.3 ipsw if you don't already have them downloaded, if for some reason it is not unlocked after the restore just install bootneuter from cydia to unlock it

ModMyi Forums - Downloads - iPhone 2G 3.1.2

ModMyi Forums - Downloads - iPhone 2G 3.1.3

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

cameraman (2010-08-26)

Thanks for the reply j3st3r3! I will do as you say.

What about the itunes version? should I download the last one or would that cause problems, as the post I mentioned above said?

Thanks again for any help

Thanks

I just restored a 2g Tuesday to 3.1.2 using iTunes 9.2 with no problems

Great. I'll do it in a little and hopefully wont' come back with any problems

So I finally had a chance to try to do this and I run into many problems

First step, first BIG mistake. When restoring I apparently didn't click shift (maybe ctrl, or capslock, I'm stupid I know), so it restored to factory settings, but with an official firware, and now the phone is locked. It tells me the sim is not valid, so I can't get to the iphone settings where I can shift restore.

I've then followed this guide: Jailbreak and Unlock 2.x on Windows - ModMyi - Wiki, since I assume the firmware it has restored to is 2.x, although I don't know how to be sure of this.

When running winpwn, it always shuts down when creating the custom firmware. I've tried a million times, reinstalling.. nothing

Next I've entered DFU mode manually, so I can shift-restore, and I've done so both with the 3.1.2 and 2.0.2 firmwares downloaded from here. I've had diferent errors (1600, 20, I can't remember what else). I've tried avoiding those errors with iREB. No luck

at the end, I've restored my phone again to its original firmware, and I'm left with a locked phone again.

Can someone help me out?

thanks

Thanks

shift+restore to official 3.1.2 and use redsn0w to jailbreak and unlock the phone, redsn0w hactivates the phone so it's fine to not have an official carrier sim

http://modmyi.com/guides/how-jailbreak-unlock-3-1-3-iphone-2g-windows-os-x/
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-09-04 at 06:46 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If youre on 3.1.3.

Download Redsn0w 0.9.4 and the 3.1.2 ipsw

Run redsn0w and point at the 3.1.2 ipsw. Select "cydia" and "unlock" when prompted. Follow the on screen instructions to complete JB.

Note: iPhone 2G with Redsn0w requires the 3.9 and 4.6 bootloader binary files. These can be found by Googling "3.9 and 4.6 bootloader download for Windows" (or for Mac whichever youve got).

I just tried redsnow. everything seemed to go fine but at the very end when it said "done!" it crashed. Then it showed a blank (black) screen for 15 minutes or so. I've turned it off and on, and it's still locked.

Maybe I don't have 3.1.3? Is there any way to find out my version when it won't enter the iphone settings in itunes?

I swear I'm not as bad with computers as I look. :P I'm just having bad luck I guess..

I'll try this again and I'm sure I'll come back

thanks a lot for your help

yay! I finally did it!

thanks a lot guys, I was about to throw it out the window!

Last edited by cameraman; 2010-09-04 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You couldve thrown the phone to me :P haha. Too bad you got it working again, lol. J/k